Audio / DSP and Dolby Digital! (1 Viewer)

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
Looking for some recommendation for a soundcard that comes with lots of features like hearing position, equalizer that can be controlled via MP (or external script), select profiles (e.g.Concert room, Hall, etc..)

Down/Upmix from 2-channel to 5.1 or the other way.

Do you know of any? I looked at the more expensive Soundblaster cards, but I did not get if they offer what I am looking for.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Sounds more like you need a good amplifier. Do soundcards offer those features these days? (Despite of those cheap effects they all have)

Trax

Portal Member
September 13, 2005
Well I can tell you, since I have my Xi-Fi soundcard, I don't connect my digital amplifier digital anymore. I use the 5.1 cables, and let the Xi-Fi card do all the converting.

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
Well I can tell you, since I have my Xi-Fi soundcard, I don't connect my digital amplifier digital anymore. I use the 5.1 cables, and let the Xi-Fi card do all the converting.

That is what I am interested in. My digital amplifier (yamaha, quite good one), is now 5 years old. Though I do not have high-end speakers..

I thought that the latest soundcards offer some nice things to me?
(Rather than these cheap things)..

So tell, what is th interesting things you found out?

Trax

Portal Member
September 13, 2005
Nothing much to tell though. I just works. It would be nice though if Creative publisched there API, so an external app could control the audio settings.

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
But what is the advantage over connectiing digitally?! Thats what I do not understand.

What is working better, when conncting analog and let the X-FI card do the rest?

Trax

Portal Member
September 13, 2005
If you have a good amplifier, that does good channel-upmixing, DTS and DD you should consider a digital connection (let all the hardwork be done by the amplifier.
That way you have the same good quality with a crappy soundcard as with an expensive one.

If you have a good one you should consider to connect it analog, but then you need a 5.1 analog connector (6 cinch connector) on your amplifier.

But, if your planning to buy one and have a good amplifier, consider putting your money in something else. It's a hassle to switch audio modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom