MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 430
Remote:
TV: Sansung 50" Series 8 Plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI (via Denon AVR-1910)

Hi all

Not sure if this is the correct sub-area to post this into; it kind of crosses over into a few!

I have a weird problem that has recently developed which is causing me (and waf) no end of greif!

I posted this on AVS forum also, but havnt made any progress so far.

A similar (but not quite the same) issue is described here, but the fix doesnt work for me (windows volume level is not changing)

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-2-0-alpha-536/help-desperately-wanted-sound-problem-95800/

The situation I have now is that if I play a video file (or even watch live TV) that has either DD audio (even if its only DD 2.0), or HD audio, the HTPC bitsreams perfectly to the reciever ("digital input" lights up, and then either DD, DTS, blue HD audio light, etc, lights up) and the audio is great, and as expected.

BUT.....if I play a video file with "regular" audio, the "PCM" light comes up on the receiver (as expected), and everything works fine......until....I either pause, F/Fwd, or Rwnd; when I resume playback, the audio has dissapeared, and I cant get it back unless I "stop", and then resume playback again. What I later discovered is that the audio doesnt actualy dissapear completely; if I turn my receiever WAY up, the audio is still there.......

This was all working correctly prior to changes I made during the last week to get HD audio bitstreaming working correctly, which were:
  • Upgraded Intel graphics media accellerator drivers to latest
  • Upgraded ASUS mb audio drivers
  • Setup & changed playback codecs within Mediaportal to Arcsoft decoder for all video, LAV for all audio, and Reclock audio renderer.

Since then I have tried rolling back and uninstalling drivers but I havent managed to fix the issue (perhaps it was unrelated...)

As a side note, in amongst all the detective work that I have been doing, I notice that within windows 7, if I go into the "configure audio" section of my "playback device" (ie: the HDMI output), and run the speaker tests, I get "full" volume level output from the front left speaker, and very low volume from all others. Im not 100% sure if I have ever checked this previously (everything just worked before!), but Im pretty sure that I did and that the test produced consistant levels accross all speakers.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Barry

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Barry

I think you're doing all the right things by checking codecs and drivers. You could also try using a standard renderer instead of reclock. "Something" in the audio chain on the MP client side graph doesn't like the pause. The chain is roughly:

file -> codec -> renderer -> driver -> cable -> amp

By process of elimination it may be possible to work out the problem...

mm

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Does it have the problem if you use the onboard analog audio output (that would tell you if it's an HDMI only or a general audio problem) ?

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom