Audio sync problems when screen set to 24 Hz (1 Viewer)

mad_cow

Portal Member
February 5, 2008
Hi, i have a very strange problem with audio beeing out of sync. It only gets out of sync when I set my screen (Toshiba z3030 LCD) to 24 Hz refreshrate. If i set it to 50 or 60 Hz it is in sync (OR almost, I´m not perfectly happie with the syncing, but it could be me trying to hard to find syncing issues). But when the screen is set to 24 Hz, the audio is out of sync with almost 1 sec. The sound does come before the video. I have tried using both internal audio codec, ffdshow codec, AC3filter and cyberlink audio codec with the same results. For video i'm using coreavc 1.6.5.0

Would really like to get this problem fixed as i do love MP in all other aspects.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Trying to get my head around why anyone would want to run at 24hz.

50\60hz are the standard, and these always require a multiple of either 25\30hz increments upwards ie 50, 75 or 100hz

mad_cow

Portal Member
    February 5, 2008
    But if I run a series with reported 23.976 fps, wouldn't I then choose 24 Hz to get best playback without "jerkiness"? And bluray of 24p wouldn't that also be best to have 24 Hz? Or am I missing something?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Video\audio sync have nothing to do with your TV refresh rate outputted from your video card, this should be set to whatever the tv\monitor natively supports and recommends.

As you have tried a lot of different codecs, including FFDShow which i use myself, if sound ahead there is a delay setting you can play with.

If its possible could you upload a minute clip of one of the problem files somewhere, so we can test it.

This could also be a driver error causing this, try changing the default directsound to one of the other options available

Forgot to ask is this a digital connection, ie DVI to HDMI (recommended) or composite (analogue) as the conversion could be screwing sync up.

mad_cow

Portal Member
    February 5, 2008
    I'm now using ffdshow for audio and coreavc for video, and screeen set to 60 Hz and it works for the files I have tested now, and if the image doesn't get to jerky, I will settle for this insted of 24 Hz. I can't upload a sample file, because I don´t have the knowledge on how to cut in a .mkv file and extract a sample from it.. but for now i will consider my problems as "solved". thank you for the time you spent reading my post :)

psykoman

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi,

I experience the same problem at 24Hz and only at this refresh rate. Tried CoreAVC/PowerDVD, several Audio Codecs. Remains the same. As soon as I use 60Hz, the problem is gone. TV is Sony 32D3000.

But if I run a series with reported 23.976 fps, wouldn't I then choose 24 Hz to get best playback without "jerkiness"? And bluray of 24p wouldn't that also be best to have 24 Hz? Or am I missing something?

No you're not missing something. It's exactly what you described. TV should be fed with the same refresh rates as source: PAL 25/50/…Hz, NTSC 30/60 Hz, HD 24Hz
    If you're playing a 24p source and the TV runs at 60Hz, somebody (VMR/EVR) has to to the pulldown I guess. Since pulldown is not always perfect, the results can be jerky.

For this reason the Automatic Refresh Rate Changer is being developed.

psykoman

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Ok I tried a few settings.

At first, the movies with 23.976fps are also out of sync at TV set to 50Hz (additionally to the 24Hz setting). I wonder why the hell they are lip synch at TV@60Hz???
    Furthermore I tried to play the movies in WMP11. I couldn't see/hear any problems! They played perfect! Afterwards I moved on to Graph Studio, rendered the file, and it was out of sync again. Audio Renderer was "Default Direct Sound Device". When I changed the Audio Renderer to "Speaker: Realtek High Definiton Output" it was sync again?! The other audio renderer like Default Waveout were also out of sync.

So I thought I had found a solution, set audio renderer in MP config to "Speaker: Realtek High Definition Output", but nothing changed. 23.976fps files in MP played at a other refresh rate than 60Hz still are out of sync with every audio renderer!

Tried MPA/AC3 decoder. Behaves the same.

Anybody has an idea?
    Thx Geri

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    As I have a new TV, I've seen the same problem with MP and 24Hz refresh rate. It works flawlessly in WMP but I have an audio lag that gets bigger and bigger in MP.

When using Reclock as Audio Renderer the problem disappeared.

This is no solution for the problem (as I wrote in another thread previously) but it works for me.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I had the same issue. I ended up switching to MPC-HC x264 codec and the MPC Audio decoder.

wod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I had the same problem. I use Automatic Refresh Rate Changer. My Samsung F86 support 24/25/30/50/60Hz. When MP switch refresh rate from default 60Hz i see great jerkless picture (with source RR), but not synchronized sound:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom