Automatic commercial cutting & transcoding to xvid (1 Viewer)

Noelix

Portal Pro
February 18, 2006
Salt Lake City, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Well I tried copying it into here since it says HTML is ON but it didn't work, so I'll just link to my original post on my blog. It has all the pretty pictures and sample files there, but feel free to respond on this forum post to it.

This is my method for how I can get Media Portal to record tv, and then how I use a number of other utilities and programs to automatically cut the commercials and transcode the file into xvid. I take no credit for any of the methods individually, I am just supplying an example of a working system for anyone out there that, like me, wants to see their recordings compressed automatically and the commercials removed from them automatically.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I have not tested this yet.. but it's very interesting. I am wondering about how long does the process take from seeing the DVR-MS file to being cut and re-encoded? I am assume it runs in the background but how much CPU time does it take? Will it effect MP while it is running in the backgroud?

Noelix

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2006
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Home Country
    DVR-MS to MPG takes less than a minute to do...
    MPG comskip takes a few minutes to do, probably like less than ten minutes,
    AVI encoding takes a few hours to do. Some people prefer to set this thing up to happen overnight, I prefer to have it happen immediately. Hehe. I can time my next recording for ya if you'd like. And depending on how much processing power you have and how much you set Dirmon2 to use, it can affect MP yes.

I know my system isn't the fastest out there and I have had problems with watching Live TV when the system is idle otherwise, using pretty much every pvr software out there, so I have ruled that out of the equation completely. If I want to watch live tv I just switch my inputs on my tv so its not going through the pvr. Otherwise if I miss an episode of something (which is often the case) I can rest assured that it will be ready for me to view within a few hours, commercial free and ready for archiving.

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    okay, most likely that's the wrong place to ask that ... but I do it anyways ...

I am having problems with AutoDVRconvert. I installed it, everything looks good, But when I want to convert a file (either single or in automode) I get always 0 byte mpg files. I tried different graphs ... no way ...

anybody knows what to do?

thanks+regards
    WeWe

Noelix

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2006
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Home Country
    maxtrash said:
    very nice! Haven't yet tried it myself, but I noticed in the http://mk.kaashoek.com/comskip/ that comskip can now proces dvr-ms. Could be that conversion to mpg is needed for the cutting and reencoding to divx though

Yeah I'm not too sure about the dvr-ms to xvid conversion process myself. In general it's something that hasn't been done much and is far less documented than any mpeg->xvid conversion process out there. It's just easier to get it into mpeg first, especially when the conversion from dvr-ms to mpeg is so fast. And my reason for putting comskip after the mpeg conversion is because there has been far more testing of comskip with mpeg files than dvr-ms files.

Noelix

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2006
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Home Country
    wewe said:
    I am having problems with AutoDVRconvert. I installed it, everything looks good, But when I want to convert a file (either single or in automode) I get always 0 byte mpg files. I tried different graphs ... no way ...
    You should ask the creators of the program on The Green Button forums.

wiggums

Portal Member
    June 25, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hmm.. interesting. But how does this work with the mediaportal database?
    If the original file is converted and then deleted how does Media Portal know where too look for the compressed file?
    Or are you suggesting that you use "my videos" to watch the recorded TV?

Noelix

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2006
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Home Country
    wiggums said:
    Or are you suggesting that you use "my videos" to watch the recorded TV?

Yes I just use My Videos to watch recorded TV. I have no clue on how to update the mediaportal database at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom