AUtomatic thumbnails in MyPictures

Discussion in 'Improvement Suggestions' started by Mr.Mitchell, August 10, 2004.

1. Mr.Mitchell
    • Premium Supporter

Mr.Mitchell Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It would be very nice if the thumbnails in My Pictures were automatically generated (in the background) when you enter a folder. It is a real pain to generate thumbs everytime you enter a folder that you have not visited before.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dman_lfc
    • Premium Supporter

dman_lfc Retired Team Member

Sales Manager
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I know it's legacy XBMC code but it seems weird that you have to generate thumbnails at all in MP when XP already does this for you.

Hence the previews will always be there and you don't need to add to the HDD additional PNG files.

DMAN

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that would be a great idea as well

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    agreed

6. NoMoDo

NoMoDo Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Then again, relying on XP's thumbs.db files for each folder may not be forward-compatible with the next version of Windows.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also think this is a great request. And maybe make icons/large icons the default view for all picture folders. . .or at least a way to change the default view in some sort of global way. . .

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with you guys, should be default large icons, and should be automatic . Don't see a problem with using thumbs.db

I'm sure there will be lots of other things in MediaPortal that might not be Shorthorn friendly, but until we know more about it we can't have an atitude like that. Otherwise, we should just use notepad.exe to display text on my tv screen and ditch the rest of it. :lol:

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's the attitude. . .why aren't we still using pine/elm for email (actually, some of us still do). MP is definitely not pushing to avoid new technologies. . .it is being built with DotNet and DirectX9. . .

10. Mars Warrior

Mars Warrior Portal Pro

Projectleader
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    quote]I agree with you guys, should be default large icons, and should be automatic . Don't see a problem with using thumbs.db
    [/quote] Well I do see a problem for NON XP users like me. Win2K does not have a thumbs.db...

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've done some searching and it doesn't look like the thumbs.db file is setup for thumbnail extraction. It actually uses NTFS streams (more than just a simple file) to hold the data and apparently they aren't full JPEG-compliant data blobs anyway (almost the same in W2k though it doesn't use the thumbs.db header file). The ideal way to do this would be to use an API call to hide the underlying details of where the thumbnails come from and shield MP from future Windows changes. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an API call that grabs that pre-generated thumbnail image. It really looks like the only future-proof method is to generate them at the application level. I really hate this in principle though since Windows already does the work.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!