AUtomatic thumbnails in MyPictures (1 Viewer)

Mr.Mitchell

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    the Netherlands
    It would be very nice if the thumbnails in My Pictures were automatically generated (in the background) when you enter a folder. It is a real pain to generate thumbs everytime you enter a folder that you have not visited before.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I know it's legacy XBMC code but it seems weird that you have to generate thumbnails at all in MP when XP already does this for you.

Hence the previews will always be there and you don't need to add to the HDD additional PNG files.

DMAN

A

Anonymous

Mr.Mitchell said:
    It would be very nice if the thumbnails in My Pictures were automatically generated (in the background) when you enter a folder. It is a real pain to generate thumbs everytime you enter a folder that you have not visited before.

agreed

NoMoDo

Portal Member
    September 9, 2004
    Israel
    dman_lfc said:
    it seems weird that you have to generate thumbnails at all in MP when XP already does this for you.

Then again, relying on XP's thumbs.db files for each folder may not be forward-compatible with the next version of Windows.

A

Anonymous

I also think this is a great request. And maybe make icons/large icons the default view for all picture folders. . .or at least a way to change the default view in some sort of global way. . .

A

Anonymous

TechFan said:
    I also think this is a great request. And maybe make icons/large icons the default view for all picture folders. . .or at least a way to change the default view in some sort of global way. . .

I agree with you guys, should be default large icons, and should be automatic . Don't see a problem with using thumbs.db

relying on XP's thumbs.db files for each folder may not be forward-compatible with the next version of Windows.

I'm sure there will be lots of other things in MediaPortal that might not be Shorthorn friendly, but until we know more about it we can't have an atitude like that. Otherwise, we should just use notepad.exe to display text on my tv screen and ditch the rest of it. :lol:

A

Anonymous

That's the attitude. . .why aren't we still using pine/elm for email (actually, some of us still do). MP is definitely not pushing to avoid new technologies. . .it is being built with DotNet and DirectX9. . .

Mars Warrior

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2004
    Airy Crater, Mars
    Home Country
    quote]I agree with you guys, should be default large icons, and should be automatic . Don't see a problem with using thumbs.db
    [/quote] Well I do see a problem for NON XP users like me. Win2K does not have a thumbs.db...

A

Anonymous

I've done some searching and it doesn't look like the thumbs.db file is setup for thumbnail extraction. It actually uses NTFS streams (more than just a simple file) to hold the data and apparently they aren't full JPEG-compliant data blobs anyway (almost the same in W2k though it doesn't use the thumbs.db header file). The ideal way to do this would be to use an API call to hide the underlying details of where the thumbnails come from and shield MP from future Windows changes. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an API call that grabs that pre-generated thumbnail image. It really looks like the only future-proof method is to generate them at the application level. I really hate this in principle though since Windows already does the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom