Autoplay for SVCD/VCD (1 Viewer)

O

~ok|

hi,

this patch does nthing better than the filter, it is in fact completing it.
Sorry for the description because I made it in a hurry. I posted a reply in the sourceforge patch page to (try to) clarify what the filter and the patch do. Please tell me if it's still unclear.

In a nutshell, I wanted to add what has been done with Video DVDs into MediaPortal, regarding user convenience/comfort, for (Super) Video CD. a priori the filter is not meant to do that.

But I'm no VCD expert and this only based on my own readings and experiences. I don't own S/VCDs myself.

I'm a bit surprised with the expereince you had with the filter, were you able to get VCD autoplay in MediaPortal when registered?

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Well, iirc I only used it once yet. I was able to hit enter on a SVCD and it started right away.

Hrmmm... what now? If you say you don't really have experience on (S)VCD, I'd prefer to keep the filter method. Can't tell much on that topic either, I just know that the filter worked for me and for many users I recommended it to without any problems. I'm afraid that putting in your code will bring up some bugs cause maybe you didn't take all (S)VCD specifications into account.

O

~ok|

you're right, if it works don't change it. But I believe that other methods must be put into action to have autoplay w/in mp, I've tested this filter quite extensively to be fairly sure. On the other hand, InterVideo or CyberLink's filters seem to.

Anyway VCD base of users is really low.

So... drop the patch.

thanks for your dedication and patience.

P.S. My spec. came from http://www.vcdimager.org/pub/vcdimager/manuals/0.7/vcdimager.html#SEC4

TesterBoy

Portal Pro
July 10, 2006
Lower Hutt
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
~ok| - Thanks for your work on this - I've been getting VC# etc installed and everything else set up so I can test it...

mPod - I have installed the cdxa filter, and VCD's still don't (auto) play. Is there anywhere I can go for instructions on exactly what needs to go where? Or should I just be able to install it and have MP play VCD's? (I did, and it doesn't :( )

Also - should the behaviour be the same when mounting an image with DaemonTools?

alpax

Portal Member
September 1, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
The latest SVN version does play VCDs! Thank you very much, guys! Now my kids can watch their favorite cartoons again!

But still - is it possible to autoplay them? Now MP detects that a video disk is inserted and asks for confirmation if I really want to open it, but it just opens the root folder, and I have to go to MPEGAV folder, select the AVSEQ01 file and press play. Is it possible to make it play such a disk automatically?

It was mentioned on the forum, that if PowerDVD or WinDVD is installed, the VCDs will work. Does this require any special setup in MP to use PowerDVD/WinDVD engine for VCDs? Would it be better than VCD support, which was added to MP recently?

Thanks.

O

~ok|

But still - is it possible to autoplay them? Now MP detects that a video disk is inserted and asks for confirmation if I really want to open it, but it just opens the root folder, and I have to go to MPEGAV folder, select the AVSEQ01 file and press play. Is it possible to make it play such a disk automatically?

no sorry.

It was mentioned on the forum, that if PowerDVD or WinDVD is installed, the VCDs will work. Does this require any special setup in MP to use PowerDVD/WinDVD engine for VCDs? Would it be better than VCD support, which was added to MP recently?

what i said was quite misleading, in fact installing powerdvd or windvd can't provide autoplay in mediaportal.

--------------

mPod, will this be fine if I only try to put forward a very specific patch (and not a full blown one). This one will only enable the autoplay feature for VCD. I mean, detecting when a VCD disc is either inserted or mounted and handle the process of automatically displaying the movie if the user has decided so (will only extend the autoplay code already here for DVD, CD-DA, etc to VCD). I won't add in other features nor touch any existing code.

Of course, autoplay with genuine VCDs (i.e. not ripped) won't work if the CDXA filter is not previously registered.

Regarding the *full* compliance of this patch to the VCD standard, I can't promise anything. The whitebook specifications are not free and should be directly requested from Philips (for 200$). nevertheless, I have a few useful guides at my disposal (i.e. http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/bchafy/cdb/info/info.html#whitebook) , some semi-technical PDFs and analyzed the code of vcdtools (provide reverse engineered VCD support, a reference).

The simplest way (that won't break anything) is to detect if the physical disc/directory/image contains a EXT, MPEG2 and SVCD or EXT, MPEGAV and VCD directories in order to assume if it is a SVCD or VCD respectively. These directories are mandatory and part of the standard. Then if one wants to play the (S)VCD, I'll put all sorted video files, from the MPEG2 or MPEGAV directory, in a temporary playlist. We can't just assume that (S)VCD video files are always in the form of AVSEQ??.DAT without further handling (and I won't try here to parse VCD TOCs or do black magic, I'll keep the code changes minimal). As such, some users proved me right and this solution (all video files in a temp playlist) is the best one so far. All of the procedures needed to achieve this are already present in the MP source. I will only hook my own changes on these existing procedures.

Tell me what you think. If you say no, I won't bother anymore. I have no time for that.

If you are not convinced of its utility or by the solution exposed, I can provide you with a pre-compiled version of a patched MP with either real VCD images or links to existing VCD images online. You will then be able to compare both MP versions (original and patched) and see if VCD autoplay is worth the try in SVN.

sorry for the essay

alpax

Portal Member
September 1, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
The simplest way (that won't break anything) is to detect if the physical disc/directory/image contains a EXT, MPEG2 and SVCD or EXT, MPEGAV and VCD directories in order to assume if it is a SVCD or VCD respectively.
[...]
(and I won't try here to parse VCD TOCs or do black magic, I'll keep the code changes minimal).
I guess this would work. Any improvement would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

wlgspotter

Portal Pro
December 3, 2006
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi ~ok|:

Are you still developing/progressing with this patch? I'm interested in getting my (S)VCD's to autoplay in MP..? I'm using MP v0.2.1.0..

Also, I have some Chinese VCDs with "dual-language" audio tracks, recorded on the left and right audiuo channels respectively. On my set top DVD player I could usually just select either left or right channel audio, and only the selected tract will play. But that doesn't seem possible in MP, and both channels will play simultaneously, and I get 2 language on at once. So, i'm wondering is there a way to get MP just play a selected audio channel, while "muting" the other?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread