[Approved] AwayMode as Option in PowerScheduler (1 Viewer)

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey guys,

after having enormous problems with this really "great" AwayMode, I implemented an option for users, to choose if it should be allowed or not.

Made changes to the PowerScheduler.Interface and PowerScheduler TVServer-Plugin. The code in Plugin SetupForm seems bit heavy, but this was VStudio2010 Designer...

Attached are the patches and the 2 dll's for Revision 28082. (if you use the dll's, replace tvserver plugin, the powerscheduler.interface in tvserver root and in MP root)

Cheers,
    Chris

Attachments

• ps_awaymode.patch
      23.7 KB
    • ps_awaymode_interface.patch
      2.4 KB
    • PowerScheduler_AwayMode_28082.zip
      43.2 KB

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: AwayMode as Option in PowerScheduler

Is there a difference between letting this ps++ do to setting this manually in the win energy options?

Regards,

Rico

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    It would be better that the away mode would be used only when needed. That change would now allow user to break the ongoing recording if manual standby is triggered. There is no need for the config option. What should be done is that if recording is ongoing the away mode should be entered and then S4/S3 should be entered when the recording is done.

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

tourettes:
    but this is the problem... some hw/driver don't support awaymode correctly... for me, it's the muted sound and that "hybrid"standbymode won't trigger.
    as i've seen so far, my patch won't let tvserver go to standby, if recording/timeshift/other actions are running...?!

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Is there a difference between letting this ps++ do to setting this manually in the win energy options?

Regards,

Rico

for some reason, some hw is not working well with the awaymode (due to broken hw / bios / driver). for me, this is the best solution for handling standby on my server

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

It would be better that the away mode would be used only when needed. That change would now allow user to break the ongoing recording if manual standby is triggered. There is no need for the config option. What should be done is that if recording is ongoing the away mode should be entered and then S4/S3 should be entered when the recording is done.

That would be the real improvement in my opinion.
    Your system uses S4 as long as there is no active recording. In cases of active recordings the system would
    detect such and switches to use S3 (meaning away mode). After the recording is done it would then enter S4 mode...

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

That would be the real improvement in my opinion.
    Your system uses S4 as long as there is no active recording. In cases of active recordings the system would
    detect such and switches to use S3 (meaning away mode). After the recording is done it would then enter S4 mode...

I think you mixed it up a bit... if your system goes to S3 while recording, the recording would stop...

like I said... this is the problem for my htpc (and some others). this doesn't work like expected. for me it's better, that tvserver won't go to any kind of standby or stay on with black screen.
    if some action is in progress on standby request, it should just stay on and not blank the screen, mute audio and stay on.

I think these 2 scenarios depend on which behaviour the user wants. I don't know how other think about this, but a checkbox in the config for configuring the wanted behaviour seems to be a good choice for me...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: AwayMode as Option in PowerScheduler

if some action is in progress on standby request, it should just stay on and not blank the screen, mute audio and stay on.

Problem is that on WIndows 7 & Vista it is not possible for an application to block the S3/S4 mode entering when user requests such - that is why away mode is required.

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

tourettes:
    i know this one. but if i press the powerbutton on my remote, mp / tvserver checks if standby is allowed.

if windows handles standby, you're right. but if the system is a "real" htpc, than mp handles standby and standby is not allowed if tvserver is working?!

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I believe to be absolutely right.
    Only if your system is configured for S3 it will use away mode instead of killing an
    active recording. Requirement is that you allow your system to do so.
    If your system is configured for S4 you dont have that choice and your pc will
    definitely enter S4 and by that kill your recording.
    Thats what I meant where there is a definite need for improvement.
    To bring S4 and away mode together.
    A guy from the mce community wrote a little program which did that.
    For the mce of course...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom