[no Bug] Background TV service is causing Windows 8 64-Bit to crash at startup (1 Viewer)

KitKat23

Portal Member
November 1, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello, I'm not sure this has already been reported or not (I did look though) -

About a week ago I installed MP 1.3 Beta and it worked just fine. Yesterday (January 9th 2013), my laptop suddenly started to crash (Windows 8 version of BSOD) about 1-2 minutes after each reboot. It occurred repeatedly after each reboot - always at the same time. The laptop just restarted automatically after every BSOD.

When I went to the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete immediately after reboot in the time I had) and ended the "Tv Service (32 bit)" Task, no further BSODs or other errors have happened.
Then I went to MP TV server configuration which restarted the TV Service - still - no BSODs or crashes after several minutes.

Uninstallation and re-installation of MP 1.3b with TV Server brought exactly the same crashes back after every reboot. Ending the task of the TV Service and eventually uninstalling just the TV Server from add\remove programs have solved the crashes problem again.

So my question is - has it been reported already? If not, do you have idea what might be the cause of the problem or how I may supply additional information to help? Or how can I solve this?

Here are my system's details:

Acer Aspire 5736-z
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Mediaportal 1.3b with the packed MySQL
TV-stick - DVB-T - QUE, driver - WinFast DTV Dongle Gold BDA Device (not plugged in at the time of the crashes)

Thanks for any reply... :)

*I hit the 'confirm' thingy by mistake up in the title... hope it didn't do anything that it shouldn't.

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    BSOD aren't caused by user mode code (for 99.9% of the cases). They are caused either OS bugs, buggy drivers or broken HW.

Do you have more information from the BSOD screen? You could also analyse the crash dump files with: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed (not sure if it works with Windows 8 dumps).

KitKat23

Portal Member
    November 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for the fast reply :) .

I followed your suggestion and downloaded whocrashed. This is the report for each crash (only the time and date change):

-------------------------------

On Wed 09-Jan-13 4:27:19 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010913-39405-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x3C9D2)
    Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001A449D2, 0xFFFFF88002D22C80, 0x0)
    Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: TCP/IP Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

----------------------------

Any idea? I'm not a computer technician, so I have no idea if the above information is worth of anything.[DOUBLEPOST=1357859634][/DOUBLEPOST]Hmmmm... I searched a bit and I can see that this tcpip.sys thingy is related to a lot of BSODs out there... funny it suddenly happened with the TV Server. Or am I wrong completely?...

KitKat23

Portal Member
    November 1, 2012
    Home Country
    I might have found a solution:

I uninstalled MP and everything that came with it, then cleaned my laptop (including registry) using ccleaner (3 rounds until no more things to fix).

Tried to reinstall MP, but the installation failed because now it couldn't set MP's\MySQL password... so... again uninstallation and then I went and downloaded the latest version of MySQL server (5.5, MP's version is 5.1) and set the MP's\MySQL password and then reinstalled MP.

Results: TV Service doesn't load at startup (so far) - MediaPortal and it's TV viewing option work just fine and no BSOD and crashes!

Thanks for suggesting me whocrashed! It gave me a small lead that made me go and search some more, I guessed it was a problem in my system (tcpip.sys), so a registry cleaner and etc'... might do the trick. Did the job.

So BIG thanks! :)

KitKat23

Portal Member
    November 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Spoke too soon...

The system remained stable only because the TV service didn't load.

Without anything to do with mediaportal, I made a clean install for Windows 8 and installed again MP 1.3 beta.

The TV Service is still crashing the system about a minute after windows starts. Any ideas?...

This thread ( https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tv-server-crashing.115586/ ) also reports TV server problems from a week ago... what happened a week ago?... a mysterious update somewhere?... ;)

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hmmmm... I searched a bit and I can see that this tcpip.sys thingy is related to a lot of BSODs out there... funny it suddenly happened with the TV Server. Or am I wrong completely?...

Try updating network card drivers or disabling the network adapter to see if the BSOD goes away.

KitKat23

Portal Member
    November 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Yep', you're right.

Disabled both Ethernet and WiFi adapters and reboot - no BSOD.
    Enabled Ethernet and WiFi remained disabled and reboot - no BSOD.
    Disabled Ethernet and enabled WiFi and reboot - BSOD after a minute or two from Windows start-up.

The WiFi driver is 'Qualcomm Atheros AR5B97 Wireless Network Adapter'. Driver provider is Microsoft, driver date is 7/3/2012, driver version is 3.0.0.130.
    No updated driver is currently provided by Microsoft.

Acer currently doesn't provide an updated driver to my Aspire 5736z laptop.

I've updated the Atheros driver from softpedia, rebooted - BSOD a minute after startup again. So I rolled back to the Microsoft driver.

So it's either watch TV or surf the web, but not both at the same time... :\

KitKat23

Portal Member
    November 1, 2012
    Home Country
    - solved -

Problem: I went to TV-Server Configuration -> Additional 3rd party checks -> Streaming Port and noticed that the status line was red and said that the port (the default port, number 554) is already bound.

Solution: I went to Streaming Server (still in TV-Server Configuration) and simply changed to some random port... the TV service restarted, I went back to Additional 3rd party checks -> Streaming Port and the status line changed to green, saying the port is available.

Rebooted the laptop... no BSODs or crashes, MediaPortal is good to go with TV and everything!

Unless I write anything else, please consider the matter closed.

And... thanks for everyone who tried to help - you sure did give me the right leads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom