Bad audio video sync in fullscreen mode (1 Viewer)

Seeco

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Linköping
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version:
MediaPortal Skin: BluteTwo wide
Windows Version: XP pro
CPU Type: C2D E6550
HDD: Samsung spinpoint
Memory: 2GB
Motherboard: Asrock 1333-FullHD
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 9600GT
Video Card Driver: 174.74
Sound Card: Realtek integrated
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: Realtek HD audio
1. TV Card: FloppyDTV
1. TV Card Type: Cable
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: AC3Filter
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV: Pioneer PDP-5080XA
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-HDMI

Hi!

I have recently bought a new TV (Pioneer 5080XA). Because of this I am now running at 1080p24 to suit all my x264/h264 material. Before I have used the integrated DVI port to output both video and audio to my old TV, but since I now want to connect the audio to my stereo I use the DVI port on my new Nvidia card for video and the green speaker port on the motherboard for audio (connected to my stereo). Since I started using this setup I have been getting problems with audio and video falling out of sync in most x264/h264 videos. Some video files are worse than others. Here are the codecs I use:

H264: CoreAVC
Mpeg2: ffdshow
Audio decoder: Nvidia audio decoder
Audio renderer: Reclock
Video renderer: VMR9

If I play the files in Media Player Classic the sync is fine, although I get a bit of what looks like tearing now and then. If I play the video in Mediaportal windowed mode the sync is also fine: hence, it's Mediaportal fullscreen mode that's causing me problems. I have tried switching audio codec (ffdshow, MPA, AC3) and audio renderer (Realtek HD Audio output), but with no result. I have checked mediaportal with graphedit in windowed mode to make sure it's using the right codecs, and it is. I would like to check the same thing in fullscreen mode, but I don't think it's possible to switch to graphedit when in fullscreen mode, without mediaportal going windowed?

Does anyone recognize this, is it common to get problems with audio-video sync when switching from HDMI-out for audio to the regular speaker port?

I'm seriously thinking about nuking my whole system partition and installing Vista instead of XP, then I could use EVR as renderer (EVR in XP produces tearing for me) which apparently would provide more fluid motion among other things. Maybe my sound issues would take care of themselves in the process.

Seeco

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Linköping
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
There doesn't seem to be very much interest in this topic, but I can add some info I've come up with:

- The audio only falls out of sync when I use VMR9 as renderer - If i use EVR it syncs but instead I get tearing.
- I usually run my system at 1080p24 resolution to match most of my HD material. If I use 1080p50 instead the audio syncs AND I get no tearing with EVR. However, I get judder.

EDIT:
I have also discovered that I only get failing sync when in fullscreen mode, if I run it windowed - even if I enlarge the window to occupy the whole screen - it doesn't fall out of sync.

Also, it's the audio that is ahead of the video.

Seeco

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Linköping
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
OK, I'll keep adding to this thread, maybe someone will see it and recognize my problems.

The last thing I have discovered is this:

Turning "VMR exclusive mode" off results in:

1. Sound and video in sync!
2. Tearing
3. Me being able to check graphedit while in fullscreen mode. The right codecs are in fact being used.

So what does this mean, why is vmr exclusive mode resulting in failing A/V sync?

n4orcer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2008
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Im having the exact same problems. Running on Vista here though, have you found any solution yet?

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    No, I'm sorry to say I haven't had that much time to fiddle around lately. Doesn't sound very promising that you get the same problems under Vista, maybe I'll have to go for another sound setup then. What are your hardware/software specs?

n4orcer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2008
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    My setup looks like follows:

MediaPortal Version: RC1 + Latest SVN
    MediaPortal Skin: Revision
    Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core 4850e
    HDD: Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    Memory: 2GB (Soon 4GB)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
    Video Card: ATI Crossfire 3200
    Video Card Driver: Latest
    Sound Card: Realtek integrated
    Sound Card Driver: Realtek HD Audio v 1.91
    MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: AC3Filter
    h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC
    HTPC Case: Omaura TF5
    Cooling: Stock Case Cooling
    Power Supply: FSP 180W
    Remote: Omaura IR (MCE Remote)
    TV: LG 42LY95
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI-HDMI

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    n4orcer

Are you using EVR or vmr9 setting in MP config\directshow filters (recommend EVR).

Both of you should have use "default directsound device" as audio renderer.

The only time i have had this was when my sound card drivers had failed to install correctly, and were not playing nicely with directx, so never easy for a third party to help diagnose, that mostly why no one has answered your question. :(

n4orcer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2008
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    n4orcer

Are you using EVR or vmr9 setting in MP config\directshow filters (recommend EVR).

Both of you should have use "default directsound device" as audio renderer.

The only time i have had this was when my sound card drivers had failed to install correctly, and were not playing nicely with directx, so never easy for a third party to help diagnose, that mostly why no one has answered your question. :(

I am using EVR. Ill try that sound option and return with how it goes.

EDIT: Just tested and there was no change. The weird thing is that I have two almost identical, in my case; tv-shows. Where one of them is working and the other suffers from these problems. Both are x264 and using 6channels AC3 384kb/s.

Im using/installed in this order. CCCP -> Latest FFDSHOW -> Latest Haali -> CoreAVC. I have configured MP to use CoreAVC as decoder for video and ffdshow for audio by passing it out trough S/PDIF to my reciver.

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    n4orcer: Are you also running at some 24p resolution? Because this only happens when I use the 24Hz setting, if I use 50Hz for example the sounds syncs pretty nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom