Bad quality posters? (1 Viewer)

deebo

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
Good job on the plugin, as a current MyFilms/AMC user the plugin is delightfuly easy to use!

...But, the posters from movie-xml.com are low res and usually look bad. As a test I imported a fraction of my database, and alot of the covers are too low res to be used on a 42" 1080p tv, they just look bad.

I have all my movies covers as higher res images but movie-xml.com only allows max 419x600 for some reason, which clearly isn't enough.

Are there any alternatives for posters?
I know theres impawards.com but its not easily scraped and an easily lead to mismatches.

Any thoughts on this?

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
419x600 should be more the enough for listview at least, even on a 1080p screen. Anyways you can always just use the covers you have now in Moving Pictures, you have to add each one manually tho.

Remember this plugin is in early beta stage, so it has a very limited amount of data providers for now.

deebo

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
I know, the plugin looks great, its simple etc...

But in the filmstrip view the max size of 419x600 is not even nearly enough on a 42" screen...

I was gonna upload my versions of the posters to the site but it only allows small pictures so i thought id just skip it...

Sadly they dont have a forum like tvdb has

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think different providers for movie info and images are planned. Have a look at ffordes task list at the google code page for MovingPictures. Somethink like this was already requested and has been confirmed.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    In the next release there will be a data provider for impawards.com, so at that point you should be able to get some better cover-art. The scraper I am putting together is also scriptable (and relatively easy to work with) so if there are any other sites you'd like to scrape from, setting it up will be possible with a little work.

After the next release will be a bug fix release, but following that another enhancement release will be coming out which should include the ability to use existing artwork if the file has a sane filename (like <imdb_id>.jpg, or <moviename>.jpg), it will be configurable. This is a bit further in the future though.

deebo

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    hope you plan on adding some preview/select functionality for the impawards support :)

even if you know exactly what you want off of impawards you might not find it too easily heh (ive had to look for some weird posters for my AMC db)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    You can cycle the movie poster you want to use in the config screen or the GUI and the importer by default downloads posters in batches of 3. So It would download three posters from impawards.com and you could select from those. If you didn't like what you had you could try to refresh again, and if there are any more posters available it will grab those. This is existing functionality.

deebo

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    The problem isnt lack of choices, its getting massive amounts of wrong choices :)

This is easily simulated by look for certain Saw poster or Star Wars poster.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    The problem isnt lack of choices, its getting massive amounts of wrong choices :)

This is easily simulated by look for certain Saw poster or Star Wars poster.

Care to elaborate? The posters on movie-xml.com for every Star Wars movie look correct to me... the Saw posters all looked right too.

Darre

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I think he's talking about impawards?

I haven't had any trouble with moving pictures grabing wrong posters(and that includes all star wars movies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom