"banding" interference (?) AverTV PVR-150 (1 Viewer)

jbrinker

Portal Member
September 12, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Just switched back to MP from MCE. Noticing a "banding" interference now, that I didnt seem to notice under MCE. I have an example file but for some reason I cant take a screen shot (or isolate a frame) from a dvr-ms file.

It looks almost like you are watching TV through a screen, tilted slightly (5 degrees say) producing a series of sightly diagonal dark bands (which, moving left to right across a still frame, get darker and lighter).

Ugh.. .Picture worth 10000 words. Can anyone help me get a screen shot of this? The example is 60 meg and I cannot seem to get any utility to convert it to anything else...

I am using SVN from 11-2, have only the 1 tuner card. Its running on a home-run of cable from the main splitter ~ 50'. I have the same (latest) avertv drivers that I ran in MCE. I have selected to "crop" 5 pix from left. Recording TV at 720x480 (NTSC), 29.9 FPS. I did select the "use quality settings" but not sure if they even work with the Aver card.

EDIT: I just looked at the file. Wanted to note that this is being seen in both live and recorded TV, as well as the actual recorded files themselves.

Ohhh.. Noticed this too - Media Player classic wont play the file (incomplete) but reports the size as 576 x 480.... Could the banding be from scaling artifacts? Wait.. that makes no sense, cause its not being scaled at the moment.

Also, im 100% sure i set the size up correctly in MP config... Is there some way I can see what its tellign the card to do?

EDIT again:

OK, more twiddling... Seems related to particular channels, and not others. Therefore I believe this is a cable/interference problem. I will try running the card straight off the cable feed from the pole later (no splitters, other tvs etc).

On the other hand, I did verify, for sure, that the only resolution Im capturing at is 576x480. It actually looks fine at this res, but Im wondering if it will cause problems in other ways, and especially why I cant get it to change to anything else. I also verified that the "quality" controls for the AverTV PVR-150 do nothing (as expected).

I connected to the running graph using graphedit, and the settings were CBR 5Mb/s video, with 384kbs (!) stereo audio at 48Khz (Yikes!). I was able to change to 4Mbit / 7Mbit VBR for the video (and it stuck) but cannot change the audio.

Anyone know of a utility that would let me set the defaults for this filter?

Jeff

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom