Basic home extention: My news (1 Viewer)

magnuje2

Portal Member
May 11, 2006
Im currently working on a kitchen setup where I want a touch screen to display news, weather and recepies.

There are skins capable of displaying weather info on the botton of basic home, like the replicant skin. So my idea is to have the headlines from MyNews scolling on the lower end of basic home (Like on certain tv shows, CNN for example).

Therefore I have a few Q´s:

Is something like this being worked on/allready made?

Is the skin engine capable of scrolling text in this manner?

Would this be a plugin or part of a skin?

In the spirit of opensource I will try to get some code together and get it working if it is possible, just hve to learn C first =)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Im currently working on a kitchen setup where I want a touch screen to display news, weather and recepies.

There are skins capable of displaying weather info on the botton of basic home, like the replicant skin. So my idea is to have the headlines from MyNews scolling on the lower end of basic home (Like on certain tv shows, CNN for example).

Therefore I have a few Q´s:

Is something like this being worked on/allready made?

Is the skin engine capable of scrolling text in this manner?

Would this be a plugin or part of a skin?

In the spirit of opensource I will try to get some code together and get it working if it is possible, just hve to learn C first =)

Take a look a the Replicant 0.2 (possibly...) skin, I am not sure it is released yet. If it is, I think it maybe just an alpha version (not sure if that is what I remember reading this morning). It is a copy of the nonafo skin which doesn't work with the latest code base. It does have weather at the bottom, but I don't think there is code to handle the scrolling RSS feed. I would love to see that! You would have to add that code and request submission into the main code base. Best wishes and can't wait to see what you come up with!

Recipes - currently that plugin isn't working with the current code base either. If you want to get hands dirty I'd suggest looking at the source code for htat plugin and ask in the development forums and on IRC any coding questions. The developers are great group of guys. Depending on your timezone you may have some trouble contacting a developer, but don't give up!

BTW - You will need to learn C#

mcbelly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Finally !

I´ve been looking for a kitchen setup for some time now - if you get to finish it, will you please, please, please make it available ?

mcbelly

magnuje2

Portal Member
    May 11, 2006
    Finally !

I´ve been looking for a kitchen setup for some time now - if you get to finish it, will you please, please, please make it available ?

mcbelly

But of course i will.

Thanks for the input guys. Like mentioned, the weather part is working so ill look into the rss scrolling part. One idea ive got is to not use the basic home screen, but develop a standalone kitchen plugin with gui. This could easily be started at bootup or wakeup and display rss feed, weather, next programs on tv and so on. Think this is easier since there are a few good plugin howto´s out there. Anything else this plugin should display? And will the skin engine handle scrolling text?

mcbelly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    A few "wishes"/ideas:

I´ve been using a touchscreen (17") in my kitchen for quite a while now. The first thing that´s a bit...annoying...(just a bit) is the size of the buttons. You can select music and movies, but changing pages is quite tricky (button´s too small).

I (!) don´t need all the functions MP has in my kitchen, basically it´s just music and recipes (a friend of mine promised me to write me a plugin as wedding present...still waiting). After all - I´m (i.e. my wife is) busy cooking. Maybe a quick glance at a TV program is possible, but not really "watching".

So, I think it would suffice to display a recipe, possibly scrolling news, weather (not very important to me - but hey, you´re the author ;-) ) and maybe something like "now playing".

I would also say, that there need to be links, which leads you to the according plugin. Say, you press on "Recipes" and go to the recipes plugin to take a peek at something else, or press on music and switch to your music library.

Personally I really like the "Now playing" Screen from the replicant 0.2 skin very much. Very informative and quite a lot of infos at a glance. Maybe as an inspiration....

mcbelly

Btw : Basic home screen ? Never use it....

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    A few "wishes"/ideas:

I´ve been using a touchscreen (17") in my kitchen for quite a while now. The first thing that´s a bit...annoying...(just a bit) is the size of the buttons. You can select music and movies, but changing pages is quite tricky (button´s too small).

I (!) don´t need all the functions MP has in my kitchen, basically it´s just music and recipes (a friend of mine promised me to write me a plugin as wedding present...still waiting). After all - I´m (i.e. my wife is) busy cooking. Maybe a quick glance at a TV program is possible, but not really "watching".

So, I think it would suffice to display a recipe, possibly scrolling news, weather (not very important to me - but hey, you´re the author ;-) ) and maybe something like "now playing".

I would also say, that there need to be links, which leads you to the according plugin. Say, you press on "Recipes" and go to the recipes plugin to take a peek at something else, or press on music and switch to your music library.

Personally I really like the "Now playing" Screen from the replicant 0.2 skin very much. Very informative and quite a lot of infos at a glance. Maybe as an inspiration....

mcbelly

Btw : Basic home screen ? Never use it....

mcbelly - Like I said earlier in this thread, there is already a recipe plugin, but currently it isn't working with the latest code base. You could have your friend look at the code and just get it running again and maybe enhance it toward your liking. It would be nice for the rest of us if then it could be released back so the rest of us could use it. Just perform a search on the word recipe and I am sure he will find it! Or just look up a few posts and look for my earlier post with the link which will take you to that thread.

It sounds like what you want is the mini viewer made available in the recipe plugin, that should be doable since many other plugins have that feature. But th emore I read your request it appears you are looking at a combined kitchen infomation center. That could be done in a plugin, it would just take someone to incorporate all the features you are looking for in one plugin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom