BASS player does not reinitialize sound device (1 Viewer)

gonzo21

Portal Pro
April 20, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have an issue with the music playback of the BASS player:

Everythime, I power of fmy LCD (attached through hdmi), power it on again (without power cycling the pc) and then try to listen to music with the standard music plugin, it only presents me an error. For every file I want to open it says that he cannot play the selected file.

In error.log I see a direct 3d error saying "Main: Device lost ..." (see attached log). All other sounds (skin sounds etc) play very well and without any issues, only the BASS player has some issues. I first noticed this in 1.1.1, 1.1.2 has this issue as well.

If I restart mediaportal, everything is fine again. I can reproduce it any time, if any other logs are needed.

Anyone's got an idea why BASS looses its handle and doesn't reinitialize it the same as other sounds do?

Regards,
André

helsten2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I had the same problem, both on 1.1.1 and on the latest 1.1.2. What I did was to go to the BASS Web site and download all Bass DLLs which were used by MediaPortal and replaced them (overwrote the originals) in the MediaPortal installation folder.
    After that everything worked fine.

gonzo21

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    :D helsten2 for this tip. will try this update and give some feedback here.

If your solution works, then it is definatively a bug, that the devs should look on for 1.2.0.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The BASS files in latest code are the very latest versions. Quite often changing the files will prevent music working at all.

gonzo21

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hm, replacing the bass.dlls did not work for me.
    The bass.dlls included in mediaportal are not the newest ones, but replacing them with the actual versions did not help. At least those I was able to replace.

I could not replace the bass.Net.dll. Everytime I did try to replace this dll, mediaportal crashed (even the configuration) saying that the bass.Net.dll has a different version than expected (2.4.7, not 2.4.4.3).

Any other ideas?

perhaps updating to 1.2.0 ?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Latest code includes 2.4.7. These will not work with 1.1. These have been updated since 1.2 alpha so you will not have access to this until 1.2 beta is released

helsten2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I could not replace the bass.Net.dll. Everytime I did try to replace this dll, mediaportal crashed (even the configuration) saying that the bass.Net.dll has a different version than expected (2.4.7, not 2.4.4.3).
    Sorry, I wasn't precise enough: bass.Net.dll should NOT be replaced.
    I replaced the following files (I grabbed them off the BASS Web site just after 1.1.1 was released):
    bass.dll 17.06.2010 13:31 (98KB)
    bass_fx.dll 27.07.2010 20:02 (30KB)
    bass_vst.dll 18.11.2008 23:25 (15KB)
    bass_wadsp.dll 30.10.2009 09:30 (14KB)
    bassasio.dll 23:10.2009 16:49 (13KB)
    bassenc.dll 12.07.2010 11:46 (13KB)
    bassmix.dll 04.02.2010 14:06 (17KB)

EDIT:
    Attached them here: View attachment Bass-DLLs.zip

The BASS files in latest code are the very latest versions. Quite often changing the files will prevent music working at all.
    I am aware of that. But since music did not work very well on my installation I tried to replace these files - and it worked (for me) ;)
    I checked the dates on the bass files on 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 (they are the same). All files are from 26.01.2009 except bassenc which is from 12.07 2010.
    There was also an issue in Mantis (0003235) (not sure if it is related), but the Bass library will be updated to the latest version in 1.2.0 Beta

gonzo21

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hm, replacing the bass.dlls with those helsten2 attached did not work for me.

But I found another workaround, without replacing the bass.dlls :

If I just start radio (via dvb-s tv card), wait for sound coming up, stop radio and then go back to music, music is being played again without issues. Somehow, starting the radio seems to refresh BASS.

jameson_uk: what do you think? something that gets reinitialized when starting radio, that does not get reinitialized when trying to play back local music? Maybe I should grab some debug logs of this workaround?

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    There were problems in the past with other players when bass was active.
    So when you use another player, like DVD or TV, i will de-init bass.

But it should get re-init, when you start playback of music again.
    This code is in place more than 2 years now, and seems to work ok.

gonzo21

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ...and it correctly gets re-initialized, but only if I start radio or tv before (and so far de-init BASS before). I remember, that it had worked in other versions before without this "workaround", but not anymore for me since 1.1.1.

..I will grab some more logs this evening, maybe some of you can figure out, why this is happening or what can be optimized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom