batch search gives up and claims unable to find + crashes (1 Viewer)

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
July 16, 2006
UK
I've not used MyLyrics before but seeing it at v1.0 thought it would probably be well tested and bug free. However I ran config went to batch search kicked it off and after about 1,000 entries it just seemed to give up and began marking them all as not found. It crashed a lot as well in this page.

Is there any other program that can mass import lyrics into mp3 tags that anyone can recommend, then I can just use MyLyrics within Mediaportal as its own importer seems hopelessly broken.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Works very stable here.

If I remember correctly there is a search limit at the top of the batch search page. And I think the default value is 1,000. So maybe this caused your troubles?

I ran it with 8,000 without problems. Don#t know how large your collection is.

tomtom

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    Very stable? you're having a laugh! Even limiting it to 1000 it usually gives up and on approx 1 in 3 searches it totally bombs out the config (out of memory exception though machine has 4gb ram and plenty left). It's far and away the least stable program I've ever encountered.

My workaround is to keep running it repeatedly, about 40 times so far, re-running when it dies/crashes, each time getting a little bit further. Then it will have to re-run through the marked ones repeatedly to get the ones it missed when it died. I figure once they're all tagged I won't have to do it again. I am trusting the plugin is stable within MediaPortal when displaying the lyrics. I just hope the endless crashes haven't corrupted any of my mp3's

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    There are 2 search sources which are not checked by default as they are instable. Have you checked those? Maybe uncheck all the sources down to one and see if it runs through with using only one source at a time. Maybe one of the sources causes the crashes.
    That is the only thing I can think of. There are no crash reports in the forums. So either it is a new problem with one of the sources or you are rather alone with crashes.

If you want to try another program:
    I use tagrunner parallel to mp mylyrics. It is the only program I am aware of that retreives lyrics and saves them to the mp3 file. It is also good for finding and embedding cover art. But it is weak if the tags aren't correct or complete.
    It is not as fast as mylyrics.
    There is a demo version available. Haven't found anything about limitations.
    TAGRUNNER-ID3-tag, lyrics, cover artwork, autotag ID3-tags editor

tomtom

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    OK i am running it under a recent svn. I decided this morning to try it under the last proper release 0.2.3.0. Exactly the same problem with crash|details = system.outofmemoryexception (plenty ram though 4gb!). This is a pretty new quadcore machine, MyLyrics shows the only MP crashes I have encountered and does so relentlessly. I've left the settings at default with those other 2 engines unchecked, though have previously tried just using Lyrics on Demand and it still crashes.

I've noticed if I turn off my router, MyLyrics happily carries on trying to find them and claiming it couldn't depite there being no internet connectivity!

I'll try that other app you mentioned, slows not a problem if it works, with the constant crashes in MyLyrics it has to be much faster in the long run. Cheers

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    OK I got tag runner it seems really quick to me + gets lyrics for lots of files that MyLyrics couldn't find. I set it to get lyric tags only and deselected the non lyrical search engines.

I then reimported the lyrics from the tags into MyLyrics it claimed to find a certain number but then on re-entering the MyLyrics Config to update this count it showed a lyric count that was a lot less?

I then realised that it shows NO lyrics if you are in Shares view mode (claiming 'no music file playing' err yes there is!). As my mp3's are nicely organised this is the view I generally use, so after all that time spent battling with it, I doubt I'll be using it. That factor plus it's poor manual unslick integration into MP (surely it should auto-pop up the lyrics if that option is selected). Let me know when v2 is out and I'll give it another try.

mackey

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2006
    right there
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi HappyTalk

I'm sorry to see the trouble and bad experiences you have had with MyLyrics. I have not seen a report as your before, and with the very little information you give above, I cannot say what is the problem.

However the application is well tested against stable release 0.2.3.0 by three peopple, and your problem might just as well be releated to your firewall settings, hardware settings and software/MP setup as a fault in MyLyrics. Also the plugin relies heavily on many aspects of MP, e.g. music core, tag reader, logging mechanism. A slight error there might have an unexpected effect in MyLyrics and result in a crash.

Please post your logs after a crash and I can have a look!

cheers

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    I found it very unstable in the config|import with continual crashes during import. In the end I tagged the files with tagrunner then imported the lyrics from the tags to the MyLyrics database. I was using an svn version but did also try 0.2.3.0 with similar crashes. As I've now tagged them all I daren't re-run the MyLyrics importer so can't offer any logs as it needs to run on 2000+ files for crash/fail-lock to occur.

I did try it the other day on some songs that I checked were on LyricsOnDemand yet neither MyLyrics or TagRunner claimed to be able to find them (The Duke Spirit)?

BTW I'm not sure why it seemed to not show lyrics for me when view=shares as I just re-checked and it seems to be working fine with that view. Previously I got 'no song is playing' message when using that view on the lyrics screen?

I understand the issues you face making it integrate more seamlessly with MyMusic I'd have thought that the MyMusic guy would be able to integrate it as an alternative option to seeing patterns, there seems to be a (grayed out) option for exactly this in the config page. Was it abandoned or something?

mackey

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2006
    right there
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Okay. Since the fault most likely is related to your specific setup there isn't most I can do without the logs. Sorry.

The music core devs are extremely hardworking and have a looong list with things they would like to implement. However they cannot find time for all and one of the things that have been disregarded is the plannen integration of MyLyrics. A pity, but understandable. Stability over all.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom