BBC HD H264 TS files use wrong codec (1 Viewer)

renzz

Portal Member
September 12, 2007
TV-Server Version: SVN 16844
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 SVN 16844
MediaPortal Skin: blue
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate
CPU Type: Intel Quad-Core
HDD: ibm 750gb
Memory: 2GB
Motherboard: Asus
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: Nvideo 8600GT
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Microsoft Mpeg2
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hi,

I recently installed a Skystar HD DVB-S card and have recorded a few things off BBC HD to TS format. However, I have MP set to use ffdshow for H264 playback (as it does nice kernelbob deinterlacing which looks good on video based source material), but MP does not use this codec when I play the TS back. Instead, the logs seem to show it thinks it is an MPEG2 TS and tries to use my configured MPEG2 codec, which is the Microsoft one. The log shows

2008-01-08 11:28:20.843200 [Info.][MPMain]: VMR9Helper:Vmr9 Added
2008-01-08 11:28:20.844200 [Info.][MPMain]: TSReaderPlayer: add codecs
2008-01-08 11:28:21.234200 [Info.][MPMain]: added filter:Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Decoder to graph
2008-01-08 11:28:21.240200 [Info.][MPMain]: added filter:ffdshow Video Decoder to graph
2008-01-08 11:28:21.243200 [Info.][MPMain]: added filter:ffdshow Audio Decoder to graph

As this obviously doesn't work, it then seems to construct a filter graph using whatever H264 decoder has highest merit (in my case Cyberlink). The Graphedit screenshot below shows the graph, and the orphaned Microsoft MPEG2 codec.

In trying to force it to use ffdshow, I set the merit of Cyberlink to "Do not use", but it will only attempt to use FFDshow if I enable MPEG2 decoding in it - but then it doesn't play, as I think it's still trying to tell ffdshow it's an MPEG2 stream.

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any other threads that exactly hit this problem. I should emphasise this only affects TS files - if I rename the file to .MKV, it works. However, I want to be able to view TS files are they are still being written to, but more importantly, this problem also affects live TV viewing of BBC HD in TVServer, as I think again MP treats the live stream as an MPEG2 one.

Logs attached

Attachments

• gedit.jpg
    gedit.jpg
    69.6 KB

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    they shouold work if u have appropriate codecs and filters installed

ffdshow, cyberlink powerdvd7, coreavc are the only codecs that will play h264

u can either install haali media splitter or install the svn and tvserver(which has the required splitter to crack open the .ts file with h264 gooey goodness inside)

renzz

Portal Member
    September 12, 2007
    SilenTYL,

As you can see from my info above, I am running a fairly recent SVN. I am not saying that I don't have the right codecs to play H264, I am saying that MP (specifically TSReader) is interpreting the file as MPEG2, and attempting to use an MPEG2 codec for it. In theory I should still be able to force it to use ffdshow (as I want) by setting all other codecs to a low merit, but this does not work as it appears MP is telling ffdhow it is MPEG2 not H264, which causes it to hang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom