BBC HD on DVB-S? (i.e. not S2) (1 Viewer)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    TV-Server Version: 1.0.2
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0.2
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 Wide
    Windows Version: XP Home SP3
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    HDD: Western Digital 750GB "Green" SATA
    Memory: 2GB DDR2
    Motherboard: MSI K9N6SGM-V (micro ATX, nForce chipset)
    Video Card: Gigabyte ATI HD4550 Passive, PCIe
    Video Card Driver: 8.12
    Sound Card: On-board
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR3000
    1. TV Card Type: Hybrid DVB-S, DVB-T, Analogue
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD 7
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
    h.264 Video Codec: PowerDVD 7
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 28.2E + Eurobird 28.5E
    HTPC Case: Antec Fusion (silver, with VFD)
    Cooling: 2x120mm case fans, 90mm Noctua on CPU
    Power Supply: Antec 430W
    Remote: Microsoft remote + keyboard
    TV: Samsung 26" LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection: VGA Sub-D (1360x768)

A simple question, but I can't seem to find a definite answer...

I've never been able to watch BBC HD (or any other HD channels) and assumed it was because my tuner card doesn't support DVB-S2. But I've been doing some research lately thinking about getting a new card and I'm starting to think that perhaps the existing UK free HD channels do not use S2 yet. I can get the sound of BBC HD, but not the picture - does that mean I should be able to get it to work with my current tuner? Just need to fiddle with codecs?

Rob

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    A simple question, but I can't seem to find a definite answer...

I've never been able to watch BBC HD (or any other HD channels) and assumed it was because my tuner card doesn't support DVB-S. But I've been doing some research lately thinking about getting a new card and I'm starting to think that perhaps the existing UK free HD channels do not use S2 yet. I can get the sound of BBC HD, but not the picture - does that mean I should be able to get it to work with my current tuner? Just need to fiddle with codecs?

Rob

Should work fine, do not need S2 to get BBC HD - I have a tecnotrend S2 (not using S2 features) card and a FloopyDTV and both get BBC HD, ITV HD and Luxe TV channels without an issue, not sure about your card but can't see that being a problem. I now use Coreavc (along with Haali splitter) as my h.264 codec but prior to that it was PowerDVD 7 and all was working.

If you are getting sound then it would point to a codec issue somewhere.

Not much help I know but should at least know it will work with a non S2 card.

Cheers

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Cool, thanks for the replies :)
    I'll try to get it to work (I'd always assumed I couldn't get HD channels up to now!)

So it should work with a mpeg4 codec.
    That's interesting - so are you saying it's nothing to do with the h264 codecs then? If it uses normal MPEG codecs then why do all the SD channels work but HD doesn't? Are there some HD-specific settings in PowerDVD I need to look at?

Anyway, thanks for the help - now I know it's a codec issue rather than hardware perhaps I should look around the codec section of the forum.

Rob

technick

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    I have now a very small (and I hope hidden) antenna in my new appartement because antenna are forbiden so only 19°2.... but it's a interesting subject because I never see a DVB-S HD MPEG4 channel before. I just see that "Eins Festival HD" is in the same case, I will test is asap.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    I just had another thought...
    When I installed MP (and TV server) I probably answered "no" when it asked about watching HD content (because I thought my hardware couldn't do it). Would that have meant something will be missing that I need, even though I'm using PowerDVD codecs rather than ones installed by MP? If so, can I get it going without having to reinstall MP?

Rob

technick

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    "Eins Festival HD" perfect with divx pro h264 codec.... Ok it's in deutch, no multilang... and I understand nothing :)

No idea about installation, in the setup you should have a specal selector for hd codec, you have one ? You can reinstall with the same version, normaly you will have just a update.

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    Rob

I think that the question about whether you wanted to watch HD determined whether the installer installed TV Server or not. TV Server is required for HD so if you had answered "no" I don't think TV Server would have been installed. I don't think the installer for the 1.1.0 alpha and beta 1 asks this question as the old internal TV engine has been removed. If you want TV with these releases then the TV Server is installed.

I use a pair of Hauppauge HVR-4000s and can receive BBC HD with MediaPortal (I use the PowerDVD 9 demo installation for the h264 codec). As stated earlier, BBC HD is DVB-S so you should be able to receive it.

Mew

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    I've been testing it this evening and it seems to be worse now than it was last time I tried. I'm sure I had sound but no picture before on BBC HD, but now the machine flashes up a BSOD and reboots as soon as I select the channel. I've tried PDVD7 and ffdshow for the h264 codec - both give the same result.

I suspect I've got some sort of codec problem on my machine - I'll investigate further.

Rob

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    I've been testing it this evening and it seems to be worse now than it was last time I tried. I'm sure I had sound but no picture before on BBC HD, but now the machine flashes up a BSOD and reboots as soon as I select the channel. I've tried PDVD7 and ffdshow for the h264 codec - both give the same result.

I suspect I've got some sort of codec problem on my machine - I'll investigate further.

Rob

Did you get any software with the card, may be worth trying to run that up and see if you can get BBC HD to work with the native s/w.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom