BBC: Sort/Grouping of programmes/videos (1 Viewer)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Many thanks for your great plugin - it works a treat :D

I fully appreciate this is a universal plugin, for many many different sources of online videos - so can't be too customised for a specific source.

But one thing that slightly fustrates me (my other half even more), is that with the BBC iPlayer support, none of the programmes are grouped by title/series/programme name (not even sorted)

Therefore you may have 150 programmes/videos on offer, but there is no order/logic to them as they are displayed (it would be nice if all the episodes for a series were next to each other) - Appreciate this is how the BBC provide the RSS feed - thanks BBC! :(

Many moons back I ran MCE with the TunerFreeMCE plugin. This not only sorted the programmes, but grouped them, such that all the episodes appeared under the one programe icon.

Is there anyway of configuring this plugin to sort/group video/programmes by title?

If not (and its not possible to include this functionality within this plugin), I was looking at writing an external process/script that downloaded the RSS XML, manipulated it to the format I need (sorted by title), and then made it available to this plugin.

Will this plugin allow the RSS feed to be local off the HDD (as opposed to HTTP from a webserver)?

Many thanks,

J. :D

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry I guess the BBC site didn't get much love yet, I'll check it out. Grouping the 100s of result in a category by a common name (part from the start of the full name of the item) is possible, as I can just put them in a subcategory.

For now, you can try the sms filtering, you know what I'm talking about?

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there

Thanks for the reply. :D

Grouping common programmes/videos and placing into a subcategory is exactly what I am after. :D

Eg:

Programme1 (eg subcategory)
    - Episode1
    - Episode2
    Programme2 (eg subcategory)
    - Episode1
    - Episode2

I have no idea what SMS filtering is??? :confused:

Many thanks,

J.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    SMS Filtering: (please use Blue3Wide to understand, other skins probably don't have the control yet)
    While showing videos type the numbers on your remote or keyboard. A number represents a set of letter as on your mobile phone. From the combination you entered only those items are shown that match what you entered. (its like T9 on mobile phone).

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi there

I have no idea what SMS filtering is??? :confused:

Many thanks,

J.

Sms filtering is a function that helps you find a specific video or category, by filtering the list according to the numbers pressed.

f.e. when you type 2 only files/categories with a "2", "a", "b" or "c" in it are displayed.
    If you press 3 after that, only files/categories with a "2", "a", "b" or "c" followed by a "3","d","e","f" in it are displayed.

Don't know if it's clear to you, but just try punching some numbers and you'll get the hang of it.

argh offbyone, you just beat me with the explanation (although mine is longer)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Ah yes... I knew you could "type" what you were after, but my partner does not like having to do that. :(

She would prefer to simply have the programmes organised (grouped), so that she can simply scroll through them (she finds typing on the remote control difficult - bad hands) :(

Just out of curiosity, any idea on timescales for grouping? Will it be days, weeks, months - Just so I know whether I need to continue to write my external script to alter the BBC RSS feed (I'm no a developer - so its going to be a long, tedious, painful route for me) :oops:

Many thanks,

J. :D

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    That would be fantastic! :D

If you were in the UK, I'd buy you a pint :)

Many thanks,

J.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just updated the site on the server, so AutoUpdate should pick up the new dll (if UAC disabled or running MediaPortal as Admin). Let me know if this is what you wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom