BD drive issues (1 Viewer)

Scandermore

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hello!

I am thinking of upgrading my HTPC and installing a BD reader (and/or writer), and I was thinking about the LG ones. The GGC-H20L and GGW-H20L.

My questions were relating to MediaPortal, and the LG units themselves.

MediaPortal: is BD play supported/well integrated in MediaPortal? Will I have to configure/buy/install external software? How is the BD overall experience in MediaPortal?

Referring to the BD units, I was thinking about a very important thing: the noise generated by the unit. Now I have an old DVD drive, a bit noisy, that can be configured with NeroDriveSpeed to downspin, but I have also a newer LG DVD writer that NeroDriveSpeed can NOT downspin. Anyone knows if these units are very noisy, and if they can be configure to reduce the spin speed with any program?

Thank you for your help.

aLeX

waskol

Portal Pro
    October 16, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello!

I am thinking of upgrading my HTPC and installing a BD reader (and/or writer), and I was thinking about the LG ones. The GGC-H20L and GGW-H20L.
    I have the GGC-H20L :)
    For about 10-120 euros It came bundled with :
    - Power DVD 7.3 HD ( only with box, not OEM !)
    - "Rocky Balboa" Blu-ray (lucky me ! My first Blu-ray :p )

is BD play supported/well integrated in MediaPortal?
    Supported : Yes
    Well Integrated : No
    The plugin HDStarter detects the insertion of your Blu-ray, and is able to start PowerDVD
    automatically in order to play it.
    Will I have to configure/buy/install external software?
    Yes, the PowerDVD software that came with you drive.
    In fact, you can also use some other software like Corel WinDVD, or ArcSoft TheatreMedia.
    But becarefull, whatever the your software, to have the version (the most expensive in general) wich is able to play Blu-ray Discs.

How is the BD overall experience in MediaPortal?
    Fantastic ! Stunnig ! Wonderfull ! Fabulous ! :D
    (with a good TV of course, otherelse, you won't see the difference)
    On my old Cathodic, it is good but not exceptional (like a DVD, not much !)
    On my HDTV (A Sony Bravia KDL-32V4500 bought 3 weeks ago, it supports 720p ), even if I output in 1368x760 via the VGA connexion, it is....:eek: :p
    Recommended Blu-ray :
    this : Earth (2007)
    or that : "Planet Earth" (2006)

It is wonderfull ! :)
    Anyone knows if these units are very noisy, and if they can be configure to reduce the spin speed with any program?
    Noisy ? not that much ! ;)

Scandermore

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    is BD play supported/well integrated in MediaPortal?
    Supported : Yes
    Well Integrated : No
    The plugin HDStarter detects the insertion of your Blu-ray, and is able to start PowerDVD
    automatically in order to play it.

Yes, the PowerDVD software that came with you drive.
    In fact, you can also use some other software like Corel WinDVD, or ArcSoft TheatreMedia.
    But becarefull, whatever the your software, to have the version (the most expensive in general) wich is able to play Blu-ray Discs.

OK. I'l have a look to HDStarter. But one question: in MediaPortal Configuration, you can configure an external DVD player... would it be possible to configure to PowerDVD, instead of the HDstarter plugin?

Anyone knows if these units are very noisy, and if they can be configure to reduce the spin speed with any program?
    Noisy ? not that much ! ;)

OK. I was asking because with my current LG DVD drive, when I insert a CD, it spins at max speed and the noise is VERY audible. Have you tried it with Audio CDs? Because BD only spins at 6x, but CDs at 40x!!!!!

Thanks for your answers! I hope I will be able to use my BD unit soon!

aLeX

hjbaard

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you want to reduce the noise you can install AnyDVD. With this you can tell it when to run in slow speed if a dvd/blu ray disk is inserted.

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    These LG drives are a a little tricky to use with drive speed limiting apps like nero, it works but takes some time to configure. Slysoft's drive speed doesn't work with the LG drive when inserting a burned DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom