Before I attempt MP TVServer (1 Viewer)

hammerdown

Portal Member
April 26, 2008
Stockton CA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Nine years ago I tried setting up MP TVServer. I didn't get far, so I ended up going with WMC for several years. Then for the past 2.5 years now I have been using Jriver and recently its TV recording engine is giving me issues, so I am strongly considering changing to MP. I have several questions before I go for it:

1. What file extension are tv shows recorded in? TS file? or?
2. Does commercial skipping work (using comskip markers)? Does the MP timeline show commercial markers? Can I toggle auto skipping off/on in real time?
3. I have nine HDHRP cable card tuners. The latest version of Jriver's recording engine is having difficulty recording 5 or 6 comcast mpeg2 HD channels, probably because they are writing two streams of every show. So recording 5 shows means writing 10 streams to the hard disk. As a result, what you get is random pixellation in the recordings. Does MP write two streams for every show? Is anyone successfully recording 6 or 8 full HD mpeg2 cable channels without problems?
4. Can I use Schedules Direct with MP? (don't ask, don't tell)
5. When playing tv shows, Can MP use madVR?

Server Hardware:
Gigabyte GA-H270M-D3H mATX
i5-7500 3.4GHz
16BG PC4-19200
OS drive: ADATA PCIe 128GB NVMe Gen3x4 M.2 (running at 5x SATAIII)
Data drive: WD WD30PURX 3TB (running at SATAIII)
GB LAN
NVIDIA GT640 hdmi to Denon AVR to Sony Tv
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    1. What file extension are tv shows recorded in? TS file? or?
    Yes, TS.

2. Does commercial skipping work (using comskip markers)? Does the MP timeline show commercial markers?
    AFAIK yes, yes.

Can I toggle auto skipping off/on in real time?
    Don't know.

3. I have nine HDHRP cable card tuners. The latest version of Jriver's recording engine is having difficulty recording 5 or 6 comcast mpeg2 HD channels, probably because they are writing two streams of every show.
    Why would they be doing that?

Does MP write two streams for every show?
    No.

Is anyone successfully recording 6 or 8 full HD mpeg2 cable channels without problems?
    I think you'll struggle to find anybody who has even attempted to do that. Therefore, I recommend you simply try MP and see what's possible. Assuming your network and disks are up to it I don't imagine this should be a problem.

4. Can I use Schedules Direct with MP?
    Yes.

(don't ask, don't tell)
    SD is no secret around here. :confused:

5. When playing tv shows, Can MP use madVR?
    MP1 can. MP2 cannot.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Time-shifting purposes
    Okay.

MediaPortal/TV Server does not pre-emptively start streams.

If you go into MediaPortal's recorded TV section and choose to view a recording while it is still recording, you're using the same stream/file that TV Server is recording to, and you will have the option to start viewing from the start of the recording or from the "live point" (ie. now).

On other hand, if you use MediaPortal (or any other front-end) to start viewing a channel that is being recorded, TV Server does start a second stream. I emphasize that this second stream is only started at your request.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I should say...

there would be the ability to rewind to the beginning of the show or forward through commercials etc.
    MediaPortal has no ability to do this for live TV. If you start viewing a live program that is not being recorded X% of the way through the program and you decide you want to record it or watch from the start... you can't. That X% of the program that you missed is unavailable. Gone. You can record from the point you decide you want to record it, and you can rewind back to the point you started watching.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Mmm, I should also say...

Usually Comskip is configured to analyse recordings after they complete. In other words: if you choose to view a recording while it is still completing, you normally shouldn't expect to see commercial markers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom