Beginner help please :) HD capabilities of MP. (1 Viewer)

Klept

Portal Pro
January 9, 2007
Utah
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey all, I've read through the FAQ and skimmed the manual and Don't want to speculate too much b4 I dish out all the money to dive into this. I'd love some additional information.

Currently I have an LG 42 Plasma. This has component inputs, coax, dvi,vga etc. I have a 36in boom antenna in my attic and I get about 12-15 HD Digital channels, aswell as all the analog. I'm running the COAX from my antenna into the TV and letting it decode my digital channels.

How does this change when you run MP? Does MP do the decoding now? Will I still get the same picture quality when watching TV through MP? What will the output from the card (or video card) to the TV be? Component? HDMI?

I noticed the cards like: "DVB-T (Terrestrial) " from the FAQ.
If I upgrade to Cable, or dish in my house, can I still use these types of card?

If I want to watch HD on two different TV's. Is it best to just buy another HD tuner card and use a lower end computer for the 2nd tv?.. Or is it possible for MP to broadcast HD signal wirelessly to a client for another tv?

Many Thanks for you time and help.

Klept

Portal Pro
January 9, 2007
Utah
Home Country
Is Meedio and Beyond TV primarily PVR's? They seem to lack some of the abilities of MP. Is this true?

reagan+carter

Portal Pro
September 6, 2006
Nantes, FR
hello klept

Currently I have an LG 42 Plasma. This has component inputs, coax, dvi,vga etc. I have a 36in boom antenna in my attic and I get about 12-15 HD Digital channels, aswell as all the analog. I'm running the COAX from my antenna into the TV and letting it decode my digital channels.

How does this change when you run MP?
You just need to put a PC with MediaPortal somewhere in between: the TV connected to your video card and your aerial connected to your TV tuner card.
You will probably need to buy a brand new remote and remote receiver.
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=8782
Does MP do the decoding now?
yes, the tuner inside your LG TV won't be used anymore.
Will I still get the same picture quality when watching TV through MP?
What will the output from the card (or video card) to the TV be? Component? HDMI?
prefer DVI over analog if you want to get the same picture quality as before.
Regarding HDMI - if your TV has HDMI inputs - you have to buy a video card with HDMI on if you want to use it. IMHO it's a bit too early to get equipped with a full-HDMI system if you don't require it.
I noticed the cards like: "DVB-T (Terrestrial) " from the FAQ.
If I upgrade to Cable, or dish in my house, can I still use these types of card?
DVB is a European standard, ATSC is its American counterpart.
DVB-T is used to watch over-the-air TV channels only.
If I want to watch HD on two different TV's. Is it best to just buy another HD tuner card and use a lower end computer for the 2nd tv?.. Or is it possible for MP to broadcast HD signal wirelessly to a client for another tv?
If it's the same channel, a single PC *MAY* be enough with a bit of tweaking - and luck -. You will have to dig the forum a little bit deeper.
Otherwise you still need one PC per TV. You may either watch TV through your LAN (using the upcoming TV module but it's not yet ready for prime time: one PC with multiple TV cards, one/several PCs without any) or by splitting your aerial signal (each PC is independant and needs its own set of TV cards).

Didi I properly answer your questions?

Klept

Portal Pro
January 9, 2007
Utah
Home Country
You just need to put a PC with MediaPortal somewhere in between: the TV connected to your video card and your aerial connected to your TV tuner card.
Okay - So this is what I'm thinking:
MP Server Machine located 4 feet away from plasma.
Coax from Antenna into the TV Tuner Card.
*Hocus-Pocus*
DVI Video out from Video Card into Plasma DVI/HDMI Input.

I also currently have a Philips Pronto touchscreen LCD remote that I'll be wanting to use.

Any change it'll be faster then the one built in? Sometimes I get some motion-blur (pixelation) on close-up fast movement. I think this is a limition of the engine in the TV correct?

Regarding HDMI - if your TV has HDMI inputs - you have to buy a video card with HDMI on if you want to use it. IMHO it's a bit too early to get equipped with a full-HDMI system if you don't require it.
Is Component, Red,Green,Blue Analog? My TV has HDMI Inputs. That leaves me with just needing a HDMI/DVI out Video Card, correct?

If it's the same channel, a single PC *MAY* be enough with a bit of tweaking - and luck -. You will have to dig the forum a little bit deeper.
Otherwise you still need one PC per TV. You may either watch TV through your LAN (using the upcoming TV module but it's not yet ready for prime time: one PC with multiple TV cards, one/several PCs without any) or by splitting your aerial signal (each PC is independant and needs its own set of TV cards).
This Kinda Confused me. I thought MP allready did something like this using a "Thin Client" on a PC at the 2nd TV. Is "watch TV through your LAN (using the upcoming TV module" Going to be something that dosen't require a PC on the 2nd TV, Client.
I think I've also changed how I think I want to do this. I only need HD on two TV's. One is tha Plasma that I spoke about in my first few lines of this post. It will be right next to the MP Server.

The Second TV I want HD on is in my Media Room downstairs. I have a 10ft Projected HD setup down there. I will just add another HD Tuner card on the MP machine running in that room.

From a client, server, Network type perspective, I want to have all my DVD's ripped to the MP server machine. From another client location, I want to be able to watch any of those wireleslly.

You've Given me some GREAT direction. I am thankful. Looking forward to getting a good plan of attack together to start this project. Looks like a blast.

reagan+carter

Portal Pro
September 6, 2006
Nantes, FR
Okay - So this is what I'm thinking:
MP Server Machine located 4 feet away from plasma.
Coax from Antenna into the TV Tuner Card.
*Hocus-Pocus*
DVI Video out from Video Card into Plasma DVI/HDMI Input.
fine
I also currently have a Philips Pronto touchscreen LCD remote that I'll be wanting to use.
well, some people reported their touchscreens worked. I don't own any.
Any change it'll be faster then the one built in? Sometimes I get some motion-blur (pixelation) on close-up fast movement. I think this is a limition of the engine in the TV correct?
it then depends on your PC capabilities (fast CPU, MPEG2/H.264 hardware acceleration w\ video card, software codecs, etc) and if you'd like to put some kind of software filters into the game; but that _should_ be a definitive yes (based on my own experience)
Is Component, Red,Green,Blue Analog?
oh yes, and dirty analog BTW
My TV has HDMI Inputs. That leaves me with just needing a HDMI/DVI out Video Card, correct?
check for HDMI 1.3 on both your TV set and video card (future-proof?); but its necessity is still a few years ahead (unless you are some kind of a Blueray or HD-DVD early adopter).
This Kinda Confused me. I thought MP allready did something like this using a "Thin Client" on a PC at the 2nd TV.
where did you read this?
Is "watch TV through your LAN (using the upcoming TV module" Going to be something that dosen't require a PC on the 2nd TV, Client.
no, PC mandatory (the server may be lightweight, not the client)
I think I've also changed how I think I want to do this. I only need HD on two TV's. One is tha Plasma that I spoke about in my first few lines of this post. It will be right next to the MP Server.

The Second TV I want HD on is in my Media Room downstairs. I have a 10ft Projected HD setup down there. I will just add another HD Tuner card on the MP machine running in that room.

From a client, server, Network type perspective, I want to have all my DVD's ripped to the MP server machine. From another client location, I want to be able to watch any of those wireleslly.
you can share them using WIFI and a Windows (CIFS/SMB/Samba) network for example
You've Given me some GREAT direction. I am thankful. Looking forward to getting a good plan of attack together to start this project. Looks like a blast.

[/QUOTE]
beware that setting up a PC running mediaportal IS a time-consuming task; don't expect short term results

Klept

Portal Pro
January 9, 2007
Utah
Home Country
oh yes, and dirty analog BTW
ahh.. Okay. :oops:

check for HDMI 1.3 on both your TV set and video card (future-proof?); but its necessity is still a few years ahead (unless you are some kind of a Blueray or HD-DVD early adopter).
Hmm.. looks like HDMI™ with HDCP - Don't think it's 1.3. I donno.

where did you read this?
Just kinda the impression I got from watching some of the "Installation Videos" on the MP Site.

you can share them using WIFI and a Windows network for example
Right - But is this something that MP does natively, so it looks like a DVD library. I don't wanna have to drop to windows and navigate a folder for .vob files. ;)

beware that setting up a PC running mediaportal IS a time-consuming task; don't expect short term results
I have a problem with being consumed with a project until I master it. I live for this kinda thing. I do appreciate the heads up though.

samundsen

Portal Pro
December 30, 2006
Houston, TX
Home Country
Is Meedio and Beyond TV primarily PVR's? They seem to lack some of the abilities of MP. Is this true?

BeyondTV is a PVR, and a superb one at that. Snapstream (makers of BeyondTV) also has a media front end called Beyond Media, but it hasn't been updated in a long time, and Media Portal is far superior, but it does take more work to set up.

Personally I use Media Portal as my "media center" front-end, but with BeyondTV as my PVR. It's a combination that works great.

Klept

Portal Pro
January 9, 2007
Utah
Home Country

BeyondTV is a PVR, and a superb one at that. Snapstream (makers of BeyondTV) also has a media front end called Beyond Media, but it hasn't been updated in a long time, and Media Portal is far superior, but it does take more work to set up.

Personally I use Media Portal as my "media center" front-end, but with BeyondTV as my PVR. It's a combination that works great.

Great to know. Thanks!

reagan+carter

Portal Pro
September 6, 2006
Nantes, FR
Hmm.. looks like HDMI™ with HDCP - Don't think it's 1.3. I donno.
my bad, the 1.3 revision of the format is not out yet (or so it seems). Yours must be 1.1. IMO it'd be better not to invest in a high-end video card yet and wait patiently for mainstream, fully-featured HDMI video cards. Let a DVI cable do the job for now.
you can share them using WIFI and a Windows network for example
Right - But is this something that MP does natively, so it looks like a DVD library. I don't wanna have to drop to windows and navigate a folder for .vob files. ;)
Once Windows shares are properly configured, mediaportal will browse inside your whole network, transparently.

enjoy mediaportal :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom