Best dual DVB-S2 CI setup with separate TV Server (1 Viewer)

mehenrik

Portal Member
December 19, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
I am planning setting up a server for TV reception and file serving in my house. My LAN at home is 1 GBit/s. The MP client connected to my TV will be on another computer. Please, let me know if this is not a good idea...

The TV-server will have two receivers for Canal Digital satellite for Norway, using a dual DVB-S2 or two single S2 receivers. I believe that one CI is enough to record and view two different channels simultaneously, either because only one decryption is going on at any time, or that the CI can handle multiple decryptions simultaneously. Let me know if this is too optimistic.

- Which current TV cards (and CI) work well ?
- Is PCIe any advantage for the TV cards?
- Any difference in cams? Just buy a Conax cam and it all works...?
- What are the requirements of the server regarding video decoding - nothing? Video decoded at client and server just storing or streaming data unmodified (except for decryption)?
- Anyone had success or issues with combining TV-Server and file server?
- When you have separated the MP client and TV-Server, will there be any delays, or will it feel like it is local?

If you only have input to some of these questions, please let me hear what you know.

PashCracken

Portal Member
March 8, 2008
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi, I've also been thinking about the exact same setup for some time. If you have some information to share I would love to hear about it.

chillibeans

Portal Member
May 19, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi, I have no feedback on CI's as I don't need them.

My opinion about PCIe is, yes do it if you can, will release the burden on any other PCI device you have on your PCI bus.

Video Decoding is done at client, not server, I have no codecs or MP client installed on my server.

I have 3 MP Clients thru out the house, with 1 server.

The server is 2008 Server.
It acts as my File Server
MP TV Server and related MP Server APPS like MP Web server.
Also has Vmware server installed running 3-5 Guest Operating systems. (linux, Server 2008 again)

One thing I would suggest and I changed on my setup is Make sure you have PCIe NIC's, the speed is awesome.
Also Install 2 Nic's one For OS, and file sharing. And use 1 Dedicated for MP TV server. People were watching a 720P or 1080P stream off TV server, and if I moved alot files over the LAN to the server all TV Clients would go Spastic and choppy playback. Other options are QOS, or NIC Teaming.

MP doesn't support 2008 Server, or should I say Microsoft doesn't support MP, There are no BDA Drivers in 2008 Server.
If you google there are ways around it, or check out https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...l-mediaportal-windows-2008-r2-x64-only-81774/

My system works well, only gets rebooted for updates, very stable.

Having MP clients going to a server used to have huge delays vs Single seat install, Glad to say the last couple of Releases fixed all of that.

Cheers

Hi, I have no feedback on CI's as I don't need them.

My opinion about PCIe is, yes do it if you can, will release the burden on any other PCI device you have on your PCI bus.

Video Decoding is done at client, not server, I have no codecs or MP client installed on my server.

I have 3 MP Clients thru out the house, with 1 server.

The server is 2008 Server.
It acts as my File Server
MP TV Server and related MP Server APPS like MP Web server.
Also has Vmware server installed running 3-5 Guest Operating systems. (linux, Server 2008 again)

One thing I would suggest and I changed on my setup is Make sure you have PCIe NIC's, the speed is awesome.
Also Install 2 Nic's one For OS, and file sharing. And use 1 Dedicated for MP TV server. People were watching a 720P or 1080P stream off TV server, and if I moved alot files over the LAN to the server all TV Clients would go Spastic and choppy playback. Other options are QOS, or NIC Teaming.

MP doesn't support 2008 Server, or should I say Microsoft doesn't support MP, There are no BDA Drivers in 2008 Server.
If you google there are ways around it, or check out https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...l-mediaportal-windows-2008-r2-x64-only-81774/

My system works well, only gets rebooted for updates, very stable.

Having MP clients going to a server used to have huge delays vs Single seat install, Glad to say the last couple of Releases fixed all of that.

Cheers

Just 1 Other note, with this setup my MP clients are able to go on standby when not in use, and have small HDD'S the smallest I could find, about 40gig. And downgraded them all to 2gig RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom