Best method to defrag if keeping MP running? (1 Viewer)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I want to defrag my disk (maybe twice a week) but I keep MP running 24x7. Does anyone have a good method (or best defrag program to use) to shut down MP (it would be best to shut down MP - right?), run defrag util allow it to finish and start MP again?

Mike

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    O&O Defrag would get my vote. Have used it on workstations, servers for years and have never had a problem with it. Its auto defragmentation works well and can be configured to use minimal resources, you can set and forget.

No need to stop an application with most defrag apps.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Smirnuff said:
    O&O Defrag would get my vote. Have used it on workstations, servers for years and have never had a problem with it. Its auto defragmentation works well and can be configured to use minimal resources, you can set and forget.

No need to stop an application with most defrag apps.

Thanks Smirnuff!
    That sounds good and I think they just offered me a new version at a reduced price.
    Mike

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, I never tried O&O, but ppl seem to recommend Disk Keeper 10.

I belive the "Set it and forget it" will come in hand. Trial available.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I have also been using the new diskeeper 10... seems to work great... I use the set it and forget it at night... ususaly when I am not recording anything. I also set up another option they have called I-FASST. This is supposed to check to see what files you use the most and then put them on the fastest part of the drive... Takes a week or so for it to get your patterns down, but seems to be working.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Thanks for each of your replies.

ASiDiE - Do you keep MP running while it is defragging? Is the I-FASST the method you use on the HTPC computer all the time?

Mike

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
    May 13, 2005
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Since Windows Xp the windows defrag is now also a command line utility. Which makes it possible to schedule the defragmentation.

just type the following in at a cmd prompt to schedule to defrag drive c: every wednesday at 2AM:

at 2:00 every:w defrag c: /f

Best thing: its free

Windows XP can optimize itself as well it does this every three days whem the computer is idle. Or kick this of by hand by ussing cmd prompt:

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks (case sensitive)

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I set it to run from 2 am to 3 am. I am usually not recording any shows at this time. I do this every day so it's not defraging only takes about 10 min, if that. I then run the i-fasst from 3am to 4am. MP is always on. Diskeeper is very good at defraging your computer while you are using it and you will never even notice..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom