Home Country
Scotland Scotland
Im going to be setting up a file server and i need to choose an os

The operating systems i have spare licences for are

windows server 2003
windows server 2000
windows 2000
windows 98

If there is a good free version of linux i would be willing to download it.

So what would be the best os for a file server.

balance07

Portal Member
April 19, 2006
Alexandria, VA
i'd suggest looking into Ubuntu. best all around linux distro, in my opinion. also happens to be what i am running on my fileserver.

depending on the specs of your server and your level of apprehension of the linux console, they have a no-gui "server" install option. my machine is modern, so i use the gui.

i'd also suggest waiting until june 1st when the next version (dapper drake) comes out. its gunna be rock solid.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Looking at the windows options you have, I definitely wouldn't go with Windows 98 - the networking stack is no where near as stable as Windows 2000 and above. Well, really, Windows 98 is just not as stable as the others period.

You may also want to consider which of the operating systems are going to be supported for the longest if the fileserver is going to be exposed to the net (security patches etc.).

Sam

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
December 31, 2005
Scotland
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
go for a linux distro if your are tech savvy enough to cope with it.
i recommend clark connect. is a web gui style setup has heaps of features and should do everything you need and more.

www.clarkconnect.org

I installed it last night in virtul pc and it seems have every thing i could ever want from a server.

ctgoodman

Portal Member
May 30, 2006
Salisbury, NC, USA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I too had the same delima a while back. I chose the 2003 server so I could impliment active directory as well. This allowed me to set NTFS security on the file system, use DFS (distributed file system), apply group policy and scripts to all my systems to map drives launch programs and such. Saves me tons of time as opposesd to sitting at each machine to change all my system settings and tweaks. Just a thought, I use this stuff everyday at work so it was a the perfect scenerio for me. Choose what you think fits your needs the best, the unix solution is probaby a really good file server. The integration and mangement for the workstations and the server just fit my needs the best.

pStar

Portal Pro
August 12, 2005
hi
perhaps you do already know this, but i recently found this one:

www.freenas.org

looks very promising, and it's free ;) it's a NAS server OS based on freeBSD. with a webinterface and a lot of other fancy stuff...

regrads

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom