Best player (1 Viewer)

pmwolf

Portal Pro
July 30, 2010
Hi all

I have been trying out different players to use with Media Portal and am wondering what most people use

I watch a lot of mkv files and DVDs.

I have tried both MPC-HT with CCCP and the built in player.

I did have to change the DVD video decoder as the defualt one did not highlight all of my DVD menus correctly.

But other then that I could not tell a difference between them

My main question is do most people stick to the internal player or go with an external one?

Thanks all

NicoTS74

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Argentina Argentina
    I´m using the external player option with MediaPlayer Classic WITHOUT CODECS, just the internal ones of MediaPlayer Classic.

That way I can use Hardware DXVA to play my MKV files without stressing the processor.

I have an ATI 880G integrated motherboard and another DXVA advantage is I can use all the image enhancing options of the ATI IGP.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I´m using the external player option with MediaPlayer Classic WITHOUT CODECS, just the internal ones of MediaPlayer Classic.

That way I can use Hardware DXVA to play my MKV files without stressing the processor.

I have an ATI 880G integrated motherboard and another DXVA advantage is I can use all the image enhancing options of the ATI IGP.

You know that internal player is able to use DXVA as well? Unless it is some performance issue why the internal player cannot be used (MP stresses GPU more than MPC-HC since it has GUI that requires rendering as well).

NicoTS74

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Argentina Argentina

You know that internal player is able to use DXVA as well? Unless it is some performance issue why the internal player cannot be used (MP stresses GPU more than MPC-HC since it has GUI that requires rendering as well).

Didn´t know that. You know I searched and haven´t found how to enable it.

Seems I searched wrong...

Maybe you can tell me how to enable it in the internal player, please? Can load external subtitles by default, too?

Thanks.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    DXVA is enabled if the codec supports it. Depending on codec, you might need to enable it. Using plain MS codec, there is no need for it, but with others, ie CyberLink, you should check confic -> codecs to see what settings are used.

Subs can be loaded automatically - see config. Subs does not break DXVA in MP.

AlexT

Portal Member
    May 2, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    MP 1.2 Beta user for three days now AND Media Portal user for three days, as well and I have to say, as tweaked as I've had my tv and movie viewing hardware & software, I can easily notice a difference with MP's internal video player. So off the bat, I'm a check in the positive column on using it for watching recordings, tv ep's, and movies. I've been a long time BSplayer and FFDShow Tryout user and even though I still only have a CRT TV and have had crystal clear beautiful images with it, MP's internal player somehow takes the quality a slight step further. Yes, I'm still using the same codec's I was before with BSP and the same settings within FFDShow but MP does something more with it. lol Can't quite my finger on it but the image is just a bit more sharp, the black's slightly blacker, the color's slightly more vivid, etc. Even the audio is slightly better and yes, same codec's and settings via FFDShow. Why? I don't have to know, it just is. lol

First post at the MP forum and seems like a good thread for it. I'll be putting my official THANKS in for the development & support team soon and asking a few questions of my own. Cheers, all and I hope you enjoy MP as much as I have so far, pmwolf.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Thanks for sharing your comments and welcome to our community :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom