Best remote control (1 Viewer)

jensemanden

Portal Member
February 3, 2007
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I can the program supports a wide range of remote controllers.

I have a Hewlet Packard (by the I won on my birthday) :) and i want to use it as mediacenter.

So which remote control do u suggest compared to price/design and its funcktions. ?

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The firefly or medion (both x10) remotes are very nice and supported out of the box

badbob

Portal Member
    May 14, 2007
    Creston could be considered the best, but you're looking at thousands of pounds. Plus you need controller. Another couple of thousand.

Mainstream remotes are Philips Pronto, URC line, and Harmony.
    Be aware of LCD touchscreen annoyances (cannot use unless you look down at the screen, so can't use blind)

I have a URC MX-700, couple of MX-500 and a MX-200 sidekick.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Microsoft MCE remotes are cheap ($50 Australian), tough (i.e. they withstand kids) and reliable. They work out the box and are supported widely i.e. Linux as well as XP/Vista.
    I have a few (as I have several HTPCs) so when a remote is missing, I simply grab another remote and use that without changing a thing.

badbob

Portal Member
    May 14, 2007
    If the OP wants a flexible learning remote to control several components the MCE remote isn't up to the job.

badbob

Portal Member
    May 14, 2007
    I use my learning remote to control

TV
    DVD player
    Squeezebox #1
    Squeezebox #2
    Av pre-amp
    Pre-amp
    HTPC
    CD player
    Lights

Each have there own profiles, ie SB #1 has av-pre amp volume, SB # 2 pre-amp. Also have macros and short cuts, with discrete IR codes in the macros. To turn everything on (TV, DVD, av pre-amp) switch inputs (TV, av pre-amp) play DVD you don't have to do anything as it's done within the macro. Also have power off macros.

In essence if you have a simple system, like yourself like the MS one is fine. However if it's more complex or have a family and want the componenents "invisible in use" you need learning remote with macro function.

oh in the past I've added into the MX-700 as well as the above.

DVD #2 (mine)
    Projector
    TV #2 (dads)
    DVD (dads)
    DVD #2 (dads)
    DVB
    Ghetto Blaster

Brothers system

TV
    CD player
    DVD #1
    DVD #2 with region change macros
    integrated amp

Try to do that with the MCE remote. ;-)

Checkout http://www.remotecentral.com/ for reviews.

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I use my learning remote to control...

Well if you're going to go insane, then I have you beat: PocketPC. Done. :p

Since the OP asked about a remote based on its "price/design and its funcktions" I would also recommend an MCE remote since its compatability with software and operating systems is almost a guarantee simply based on the number of users it has, and the amount of open projects for it. Plus it will support everything in MP without having to spend more than 2 seconds to check a checkbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom