Best SPDIF output sampling rate (1 Viewer)

poffe

Portal Member
January 20, 2007
Hi,

This is actually not at MediaPortal question but I use it as frontend. I am using the BASS player with ASIO output (ASIO4ALL v2). In my REALTEK SPDIF settings I can specify the output sampling rate. The settings 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz all "works" in my receiver. Which sampling rate do you think produce the best audio? Also in ASIO-4ALL there is a check box "Always resample 44.1 kHz <-> 48 kHz" that is enabled by default. With this enabled (best?) should I use 48 kHz as output sampling rate?

regards Per-Ola

Koudijs

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Basically the output sample rate should be the same as the sample rate of the stream you are playing. Some soundcards automatically detect the sample rate of the input stream and set the output rate accordingly, don't know if this is possible with yours.

The "Always resample 44.1 kHz <-> 48 kHz" option in ASIO4ALL is meant for soundcards that have a fixed output rate of 48 kHz. The upsampling of these soundcards is often not so good, by performing the upsampling in software a better algorithm can be used which gives better sound. If your soundcard can output different sample rates it is best to disable this option.

Regards,
    Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom