Tools and other software Best way of compressing large TV recordings? (1 Viewer)

djm66

Portal Pro
February 13, 2007
Hi there,

I like to hang onto to my TV server recordings but the .ts files are pretty huge and I'm running out of hard-drive space.

Can anyone recommend a fairly quick, efficient and, erm, free way of compressing/converting my large ts files to another format e.g. DIV-X or XVID or whatever. Then I could hang to an entire season of say, The Wire, without needing to buy a new hard drive.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work devs! :D

frenzy

Portal Pro
April 29, 2008
Home Country
France France
MeGui is one of the best media encoding software around, pretty fast depending on the machine (~3hrs for a 2hr 720x576 MPEG2 rip @ 1.5Mbit with a Core2duo E6750 @3.2 GHz, reencoded in H.264 DXVA compliant) and very reliable as far as quality and compression. I wouldn't recommend nothing else, even though megui can get a bit technical, the benefit of learning to use it is huge.

djm66

Portal Pro
February 13, 2007
Thanks Frenzy, I'll give that a try!

In the meantime, if anyone else can recommend anything, lemme know.

DJM

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For standard def you can use PVAStrumento or HDTV2MPEG to get a MPEG-PS and then use AutoGK it is pretty simple plus like MeGUI you can queue multiple jobs. Only handles XviD and DivX though!

MeGUI has to be the best, I have trouble getting the H264 .ts files to be read so had to remux to .m2ts and load straight into AVS creator tool.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MCEBuddy, this works well if you have a high turnover of recordings and only hang onto the ones you wish converted, again for my own purposes, the h.264 option is optimal for the "look" of the original file. remember thats in my eyes :)

Just enable the delay feature, so that only files over a certain age are converted, also supports comskip.

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    So how does MCEbuddy work? you point it to a folder and it starts converting everything inside it? Does it delete the converted files?
    Sounds pretty useful for a MP server.

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MCEBuddy, this works well if you have a high turnover of recordings and only hang onto the ones you wish converted, again for my own purposes, the h.264 option is optimal for the "look" of the original file. remember thats in my eyes :)

Just enable the delay feature, so that only files over a certain age are converted, also supports comskip.

Hi,

would like to try MCEBuddy, as it sounds good. BUT does it convert .TS files?? I found no option for this :confused:

regards
    flintstone

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

thanks for the fast response. Should have found out that for myself...shame on me..:oops:
    regards

flintstone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom