Better music player (1 Viewer)

samoddie

Portal Member
October 6, 2008
Hi there

I have been slowly making a HTPC using mediaportal and everything is working fine - now it's down to the tweaking stage...

I would like to know if there is a better music player that works internally in mediaportal that resembles a similar kind of interface to itunes with a similar kind of search function, sorting by id3 tags etc...

It's very hard using the current mediaportal music player as i am constantly going back and forth between menus and can spend forever scrolling to the bottom to find a song i like..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

samoddie

Portal Member
October 6, 2008
I have read the manual but it doesn't seem to answer my questions.

Basically- I want my music player to be like iTunes. I loved the iTunes interface and it meant searching for music was easy. I have lots and lots and if I have to scroll down the list all the time it will mean that I just come out of mediaportal and back into windows. I don't want to do this. I love mediaportal and want everything to work beautifully!

When friends come round or I have parties I want them to be able to just pick up the remote and select whatever music they like

Does this make sense?

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    first i need to say: for me iTunes is the worstest app manging music i've ever used. Using an iPhone i HAVE to use it, cause syncing with Winamp no longer works. :-(

but back to your question:

1. Asuming all your files are tagged correctly, otherwise you wouldn't be able to use them in iTunes
    2. Import all you files from the Music Share into the Music DB
    3. Use one of the provided Database Views, instead of the Shares View, or create additional Views. You can use then the Remote to navigate to artists, songs, titles, starting with the letter you typed on the remote / keyboard
    4. Install GlobalSearch. This replaces then the Search functionality.

druid9

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 31, 2006
    Sheesh, is this bash the music section week?

I used to post a lot in the music section, because that is what brought me to MP in the first place.

Nowadays it just works, so no reason to post really, other than to say:D
    once audio files are properly tagged, (I know its a PIA), the database (not shares) views allow so much flexibility I reckon anyone looking for further functionality ought to take a deep breath and spend more time listening and less time clicking if you know what I mean.

I still am surprised by how many control freaks still want to second guess the database functionality of MP, and impose folder views, or NAS views or some other such. Just tag the files and let MP do the rest. If you must put folder structures in place, go right ahead, but get the tags right and the database will be fine. This applies not just to audio but also to movies TV series, etc.

Eventually in the HTPC game you have to get rid of your Windows prejudices.

My $0.02

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hwahrmann already told you how you can enjoy the music section even without ANY scrolling at all. It's just a matter of getting used to a different tool...
    I second the opinion on iTunes. If at all there's something positive to say it would be about the dynamic playlists. However it still needs some input whereas our audioscrobbler approach is working without any further action ;)

samoddie

Portal Member
    October 6, 2008
    First of all thanks to everyone, especially Hwahrmann! I am gonna take all you have suggested and see what I can do over the next few weeks - sounds like the music section will become pretty awesome...

Secondly, thanks to all those who thought it was prudent to have a go. I was not bashing the music section at all, just looking for guidance to make it better. Thanks for being so ready to knock those who might not be as computer inclined as you. Really makes you feel welcome (I'll think twice about asking a "dumb" question again, actually I probably wont post anything again).

Anyway, bashing aside, I am gonna give it a good sort out as it is the last thing that needs tweaking in my whole media portal set up as everything else is working a dream. Good work mediaportal!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom