Bittorrent TV: Joost P2P IPTV on demand (1 Viewer)

barkerch

Portal Member
January 29, 2007
Wellington
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello yall,

Joost is an interactive IP-based TV software system from the people who brought you Kazaa and Skype.

It's like what Bittorrent was to P2P filesharing.

Would anyone want to give Joost a go and see if it's something Media Portal would want to interface?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/17/joost/

Let me know, I'll give it a look at too.

stitchez

February 17, 2007
If joost will work as I hope to, it'll replace traditional tv. No more tv tuners needed! It would be great if mediaportal features a joost plugin when joost moves out of beta.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    What about BitTorrent now that they offer movies, TV shows & Music? A plugin for BitTorrent maybe a good thing also? But I can't find that BitTorrent is providing an API, so that blows chunks!

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Its an interresting concept, but with a few 3rd party programs and sites, you can have all the same functionality.

I use a television RSS site: www.tvrss.net

combine the RSS feeds with a BT program like utorrent, and you can setup utorrent to automatically download new episodes of programs as soon as they're released without any user interaction after initial setup.

Joost also seems to be using a proprietary protocol. Im quite big on open protocols, or at least released with an API to allow other developers access to the protocol so that is definitely a downside to this technology in my eyes.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, I can only say that I was impressed by Joos; very smooth and exellent gfx.

Ability to use MCE-remote, to some extent.

+ World Poker Tour - ON DEMAND :D

If you can get your hands on an ivite - go get!

samundsen

Portal Pro
    December 30, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've tried Joost, and it has WAYS to go before it can even come close to be considered an alternative to regular TV. My biggest complaint about the Joost interface is their total lack of consideration for using a remote control to navigate. The interface is very mouse oriented. There are a few keyboard shortcuts that can be mapped, but nothing close to what is necessary before this will work on most dedicated HTPCs.

r8td

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2006
    can someone send me an invite, so i can check it out?

-Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom