black is grey when playing video in mp (1 Viewer)

no.diggity

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0.1
    Windows Version: vista 64bit
    CPU Type: Athlon X2 5050e
    Memory: 4 Gb
    Video Card: ATi Sapphire Radeon 4850
    Video Card Driver: Catalyst 9.3
    Sound Card: Auzentech Prelude X-fi
    MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow (CCCP)
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdaudio (CCCP)
    h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow (CCCP)

Hello,

I have a problem with black level when playing video in MP. I attached 2 screens, which show it (grabbed from 4:3 video and sized-down a bit, side bars black is ok). When playing video in MPC-HC, everything is fine. Codecs used to play are the same in MPC and MP (CCCP), only using "resize" in ffdshow, no other settings are checked. Thanks for any advices.

Attachments

• crest media portal.jpg
      crest media portal.jpg
      19.7 KB
    • crest mpc-hc.jpg
      crest mpc-hc.jpg
      21.3 KB

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Try adjusting the brightness for video playback (not desktop) in the ATI catalyst control centre.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Make sure you have fullrange 0-255 set under the CCC\Nvidia display settings, this can be controlled by application or the graphics setting, mine are all controlled by the graphics card setting, so get the same visual colours, whichever application I'm running.

EViS

Portal Pro
    September 30, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Make sure you have fullrange 0-255 set under the CCC\Nvidia display settings, this can be controlled by application or the graphics setting, mine are all controlled by the graphics card setting, so get the same visual colours, whichever application I'm running.

This option only appears in the CCC control panel if a HDMI dongle is used with these cards. Otherwise, a contrast/brightness hack is required. I used the AVS HD calibration video available at AVS Forums.

I should mention that I did have the same problem as you back when I was calibrating. However, I do not remember what the cause of the issue was so I can't help :(.

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

And where is that under ATI?

This option only appears in the CCC control panel if a HDMI dongle is used with these cards. Otherwise, a contrast/brightness hack is required. I used the AVS HD calibration video available at AVS Forums.

I should mention that I did have the same problem as you back when I was calibrating. However, I do not remember what the cause of the issue was so I can't help :(.

What do you mean by a HDMI dongle? I'm just using a std. HDMI cable from my motherboard to the tv.

rak

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    I have also TV connected using HDMI cable and since new ATI drivers (maybe since 9.1-9.2) the video is no more expanded to full range but in video standard 16-235 range (blacks are grey) and I found no tweak to change it. The only way is to overcome this is to select Color Pixel Format to "RGB 4:4:4 pixel format PC standard (full RGB)" in CCC and on TV you have to select standard 16-235 range - on Samsung TV it's "HDMI black level" option, which must be set to "Normal".

Anyway I would like to expand it back to full range as it would be consistent with other applications. Or it would be nice if ATI drivers would not "double compensate" the range if pixel format RGB 4:4:4 limited range or YBrCr is selected.

Justchill

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2008
    Brugge
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    WOW this is a big bug in mediaportal !! When the refresh rate changes, blacks are grey !! My TV does not support FULL levels ! When I set CCC to full levels, the screen is very black.. It is not an ATI problem but MediaPortal problem !! It has something to do with the internal refreshrate changer I guess

Most TV's only support 16-235 !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom