[no Bug] Black screen after pausing or stopping a video or recording (1 Viewer)

tjharris

July 3, 2010
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC5
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Wide
Windows Version: Windows 7 32 bit
CPU Type: Athlon II x2 245
HDD: Seagate 1TB
Memory: 2GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-US3
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Video Card Driver: 8.15.11.8593
Sound Card: Onboard digital audio
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTv Nova S
1. TV Card Type: DBV-S
1. TV Card Driver: 2.124.27191.0
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Optus D1
HTPC Case: Silverstone LC16S-MR
Remote: Hauppauge
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I've experienced this problem with RC 4 and 5. Have tried searching the forums, but anything I find is from 2008/2009 and says that it is fixed.

My problem is that when a video or recording is paused or stopped the screen goes black. Pressing any button on the Hauppauge remote doesn't fix it, I have to press a key on the keyboard. This happens frequently - with both recordings and videos, and could occur after any amount of playing time (1 minute or 30 minutes). I have a second issue that I don't know if it is related, but when I have MP screensaver enabled, pressing a button on the remote will not bring MP back into focus. I have to press a key on the keyboard. My main problem occurs whether the MP screensaver is enabled or not.

I've uninstalled all codecs, then installed SAF 5 (unlocked). The problem still occurs.

I can reproduce the problem in debug mode, but it doesn't occur as frequently as it does when running MP norrmally. Logs are attached - the problem occurred right at the end of the logging period.

I'm not having much luck with Mediaportal. Initially started with RC3 but had issues with it not playing a recording after MP was first started - had to play a video first, then recordings would play. Went to RC4, but experienced the black screen issue. Went back to the stable release, didn't have issues with the black screen but experienced issues with scheduled recordings not recording, and choppy playback. Uninstalled and cleaned up, then decided to try RC5, and now we're back to black screens again!

Thanks for any help.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is this with any video file or recording, or just some types?

Mark

tjharris

July 3, 2010
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It seems to be with any type. The recordings are .ts recorded through MP with TV-Server. The movie from last night was a xvid dvd rip, and other tv downloads have been xvid avi's.

Tara

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    It seems to be with any type. The recordings are .ts recorded through MP with TV-Server. The movie from last night was a xvid dvd rip, and other tv downloads have been xvid avi's.

Tara

That is all very strange. Your system is not so different from one of mine, and I have never seen this.

I think that if there was a MediaPortal bug causing this, we would have many reports so I am inclined to suggest that it is more likely to be something with your system.

The fact that the keyboard responds but the remote does not is intriguing. Is it possible that your screen saver is kicking in or power saving settings are blanking the screen. I have seen this happen and for me it does seem to happen only with one video file.

Alternatively, could you try updating your graphics card drivers and see if this helps?

Mark

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Fast look in the log & you should update your system with Windows Update, it now say you have never done it.

Regards
    Roy

tjharris

July 3, 2010
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The fact that the keyboard responds but the remote does not is intriguing. Is it possible that your screen saver is kicking in or power saving settings are blanking the screen. I have seen this happen and for me it does seem to happen only with one video file.

Alternatively, could you try updating your graphics card drivers and see if this helps?

Mark

We've tried all sorts of ways - no screensaver, no power saving, screensaver on etc. If MP isn't running, and the blanking screensaver kicks in, a press of a button on the remote gets rid of the screensaver. If MP is running, it has to be a key on the keyboard.

We completely reinstalled Windows before we installed the stable version (just prior to RC5), and left it as a bare bones system.

Will do a Windows update and update graphics card drivers and see what happens.

tjharris

July 3, 2010
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I ran Windows updates, which updated the video card etc also. No change to the problems I was experiencing. Formatted the hard drive, installed windows, ran Windows update etc, and THEN installed Mediaportal, and all is good now. Thanks for your help.

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    I have same issue since RC5. Still there in RC6. I press stop when watching a video and I get the MP "egg timer" circle up for about 20secs and it eventually drops back to my video title list.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I have same issue since RC5. Still there in RC6. I press stop when watching a video and I get the MP "egg timer" circle up for about 20secs and it eventually drops back to my video title list.

So for you the problem is that it takes about 20 seconds to stop playing a video and go back to the list?

Please post logs, otherwise we would just be guessing.

Mark

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,

Logs attached. Note, that it only seems to do it the first time I load MP and play a video. If I wait the 20seconds for it to drop back to my titles list and then play a video again and stop it, it drops immediately back to my title list as it used to in earlier RC's (normal behaviour).

Cheers,
    Colin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom