Black screen on some H.264 -- codec or renderer problem? (1 Viewer)

cheer

Portal Member
March 19, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
OK, this one has me ready to pull my hair out.

I have a certain subset of files that, when played in MediaPortal, give me no video. I do get audio. It is some (but not all) of the DVD rips that I've made personally from my own collection. All files are in MKV containers, with H.264 video, AC-3 audio, and .srt subtitles. I have some files in exactly that format that play fine, however.

Now here's what's really weird:

• It happens on more than one machine. It was happening on my current HTPC, and after 10 minutes I figured it was a stupid codec problem and walked away, as I was planning to replace it with a better machine anyway. But I just built the new machine fresh and it's doing the same thing.
  • It does NOT happen in WMP (i.e. WMP plays the files fine). It also does NOT happen in MPC (and yes I've disabled MPC's internal splitters and filters).
  • When I first built the machine, all I installed for codecs was PowerDVD, Quicktime, ffdshow, the Matroska splitter, and the Quicklooks filter for Quicktime. When I played the file in either WMP or MPC, I got the taskbar icons I expected to see (Matroska, FF-V, FF-A).
  • I uninstalled PowerDVD, ffdshow, the Matroska splitter, and Quicklooks. Then I installed SAF6. No change.
  • It doesn't matter which H.264 codec I set MediaPortal to; I still get no video on those select files.
  • If I change to VMR9 (from EVR), the videos DO play. But then if I stop the video, I get all sorts of artifacting in MP (and I presume that's because VMR9 isn't compatible with Win7).
I'm attaching my MediaPortal log and my evr.log from when I tried to play the file. I also opened one of the files in graphstudio and am attaching a screenshot. If anyone has any ideas of where I should look, I'd be grateful. And if it's a problem in the files themselves, I can always re-rip them, but I'd sure like to know WHAT the problem is.

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3Wide
Windows Version: 7 Home Premium (32)
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
HDD: 250GB IDE
Memory: 4GB DDR2
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H (1.0)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
Video Card Driver: 275.33
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC - MPEG-2 Video Decoder (Gabest)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: LAV Audio Decoder
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder

Attachments

• gs.png
    gs.png
    31.8 KB

cheer

Portal Member
March 19, 2009
Home Country
OK, turns out that uninstalling everything and installing SAF6 broke a lot more. So I uninstalled SAF6, and re-installed the Matroska splitter and ffdshow-tryouts. I now attach logs for BOTH: the file that does not work, and the file that does. I also attached graphstudio screenprints for both.

Thanks very much for taking a look.

Attachments

• gsnotworking.png
    gsnotworking.png
    40.5 KB
  • gsworking.png
    gsworking.png
    35.3 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Please run MediaPortal in windowed mode and then connect with the GraphStudio to the running graph - at least it looks like you are using graph that GraphStdio has generated (video renderer instead of the EVR is used).

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The only thing I can see in the logs that looks a bit odd is the aspect ratio data in evr.log:

Code:
    14-08-2011 18:48:27.201 [cd8]New format: 720x576, Ratio: 158735:116074

but I don't know if this would cause a problem - as far as I can tell video frames are reaching the evr presenter, but MP isn't rendering anything - hence the black screen....

158735:116074 is 1.368:1 (4:3 is 1.25:1, 16:9 is 1.78:1)

Tony

(To do a 'connect to remote graph' with GraphStudio you may need to register 'proppage.dll' - see https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-2-0-beta-540/livetv-blank-screen-no-sound-client-video-sound-works-server-97836/index2.html#post762325)

cheer

Portal Member
    March 19, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks, guys. Soon as work wraps up I will give that a go.

cheer

Portal Member
    March 19, 2009
    Home Country
    OK, I am attaching two screengrabs: one of the "working" video and one of the "not working" video (file names are pretty self-explanatory).

Thanks for looking at this!

Attachments

• working.png
      working.png
      60.2 KB
    • notworking.png
      notworking.png
      40.5 KB

Hogan77

Portal Member
    October 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have the same problem with some files that has been encoded with a SAR value. To me it's a bug in MP, because I can play the files perfectly in GraphStudio.
    SAR value said:
    Specifies the input video's Sample Aspect Ratio (SAR) to be used by the encoder in width:height. This in conjunction with frame dimensions can be used to encode an anamorphic output by determining the Display Aspect Ratio (DAR) via the formula: DAR = SAR x width/height.

Hogan77

Portal Member
    October 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Me too. I think its something to do with subtitles mkv's because movies that i have which dont have forced subtitles work fine. I read on another thread that its a bug in MP1.2 which is being looked at...

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-subtitle-renderer-mediaportal-freezes-99050/
    No it's not the same problem/bug. With this bug MP doesn't freeze, instead you get a black screen but you can still hear the sound and stop the playback to return to MP menu. I'm 99.99% sure it is related to videos encoded with a SAR value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom