Black screen und locked-up computer after resume (1 Viewer)

Knilch2000

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 final
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 wide
    Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium
    CPU Type: Dual Core E6300 (2800Mhz)
    HDD: WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1 (1TB)
    Memory: 2GB DDR PC2-5300
    Motherboard: Giga-Byte EG45M-UD2H
    Video Card: Intel GMA 4500(M)(HD)
    Video Card Driver: 8.15.10.2086
    Sound Card: Intel ICH10
    Sound Card AC3: no AC3
    Sound Card Driver: ?
    1. TV Card: Digital Everywhere FloppyDTV S2
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver: 5.0 (6326-3001)
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC - MPEG-2 Video Decoder (Gabest)
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC - MPA Decoder Filter
    h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow Video Decoder
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2°E
    HTPC Case: HFX mini
    Cooling: passiv über Heatpipes
    Power Supply: HFX, extern
    Remote: MCE Remote
    TV: LOEWE Art SL 47"
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I resumed my computer from standby this morning (11:51) to find it locked up on a black screen. Only mouse cursor is visible. Ctrl-Alt-Del brings up the usual windows screen /log off, change user etc) but choosing taks manager or s.th. else just brings up the black screen again. Only way to get out is doing a hard reset by pressing the power switch for a few seconds (12:00).

Attached log files have been qathered directly after reboot.

This is the first time it occurs on 1.1.0 final, but it occured very often on my last install of RC4. I have done a complete fresh install of MP since that, with no plugins installed.

Last settings I have changes are:
    - checked "Keep Mediaportal always on top"
    - checked "Hide taskbar in fullscreen mode"
    Maybe there's an connection so that MediaPortal has crashed btu still sits on top of desktop, so that only black screen is visible?

I'm desperate in finding a fix because I had used MP for over a year and only recently these problems began. I did a lot of searching but didn't find any solutiion. Maybe the problem lies somewhere outside of MP but I don't have a clue.. Last resort would be for me to reinstall Windows , but first I wanted to report that error because with current setup I can (somehow) reproduce the error, and I thought maybe this is helpful info for you. :D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Your using a custom dpi setting in windows, wonder if that may be causing a problem, sorry nothing else I could pick up out of the ordinary from logs, maybe someone else can.

EViS

Portal Pro
    September 30, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have the exact same problem as you. Google brings up plenty of other people who are also experiencing very similar issues. I have finally diagnosed the issue to be desktop windows manager and Aero which causes the corrupt graphics and inevitable crash after resume.

No idea what I can do about it though. The issue lies between Windows 7 and ATI drivers...

J

joostzilla

I have the same problem. Indeed a win7 ati issue.
    What i can not understand is why there is no hotfix or patch from one of the companies :(

Knilch2000

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Happened again today. Mediaportal is still usable because when I press a key on the remote, I hear the MP "click" sound. Although there's quite a delay on every press.

I already had these problems since RC, but not from the beginning of using Win7! So maybe it's a change that was implented somewhere in RC that casues this error?

The reason I suspect MP:
    In RC I disabled the two settings I mentioned ("Keep Mediaportal always on top" and "Hide taskbar in fullscreen mode") and all of a sudden the problem didn't occur again.
    Now that I had installed final, I left the two options unchecked, no error. But as soon as I enabled them, the next day I got the first occurence of said error.

So maybe it's just an error that causes MP to draw a black screen on top of everything?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have the same problem. Indeed a win7 ati issue.
    What i can not understand is why there is no hotfix or patch from one of the companies :(
    Using an GF9500 here, so this might be why I am not able to reproduce the issue on my livingrom HTPC.
    But with the ATI 5870 in my workstation I can not reproduce the error either.
    Ofc. the driverbug can be surfacing only with specific GFX-card models.

The reason I suspect MP:
    In RC I disabled the two settings I mentioned ("Keep Mediaportal always on top" and "Hide taskbar in fullscreen mode") and all of a sudden the problem didn't occur again.
    Now that I had installed final, I left the two options unchecked, no error. But as soon as I enabled them, the next day I got the first occurence of said error.

So maybe it's just an error that causes MP to draw a black screen on top of everything?
    So if you dissable both now you nolonger have the issue?

I have enabled both for a test now and I still have no issue on resume from S3.
    Also tried that on the testpc now which uses an ATI 4550.

Knilch2000

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Using an GF9500 here, so this might be why I am not able to reproduce the issue on my livingrom HTPC.
    Well I'm using the onboard VGA (Intel), so I don't think the problem is specific to ATI in the first place... Maybe rather some general video driver specifc thing? Or maybe the HDMI connection (I have MP having weird resolutions some times after resume, MP only takes one quarter of the screen then, rest shows the desktop behind. :) )

So if you dissable both now you nolonger have the issue?

I have enabled both for a test now and I still have no issue on resume from S3.
    Also tried that on the testpc now which uses an ATI 4550.
    Currently I still have the two options enabled.
    Testing this it's a bit time consuming, because it only happens once in a while. And currently I'm trying Ray's suggestion (see below).
    After that I'll try disabling "always on top" and see what happens then. I'll keep you updated.

Your using a custom dpi setting in windows, wonder if that may be causing a problem, sorry nothing else I could pick up out of the ordinary from logs, maybe someone else can.
    Thanks for the tip, I'm currently trying this out. I switched to regular DPI a few days ago (and 720p because otherwise I can't read a thing on the screen :D ).
    So far it hasn't occured since last time I posted (2010-08-08), but I'll have to wait a few more days I guess :)

:D thx for the help so far, hope we'll get this in the end :D

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well I'm using the onboard VGA (Intel), so I don't think the problem is specific to ATI in the first place... Maybe rather some general video driver specifc thing? Or maybe the HDMI connection (I have MP having weird resolutions some times after resume, MP only takes one quarter of the screen then, rest shows the desktop behind. :) )
    I am using a HDMI connection as well (1080p - 50Hz).
    If the resolution is wrong after resume, then this has absolutelly nothing to do with MP.

Thanks for the tip, I'm currently trying this out. I switched to regular DPI a few days ago (and 720p because otherwise I can't read a thing on the screen :D ).
    So far it hasn't occured since last time I posted (2010-08-08), but I'll have to wait a few more days I guess :)

:D thx for the help so far, hope we'll get this in the end :D

I am also using the 125% DPI setting on all my W7 HTPC's. No issues.

Knilch2000

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If the resolution is wrong after resume, then this has absolutelly nothing to do with MP.
    k, do you have an idea what might be causing this then by any chance?

k thx. Well so far it hasn't occured since last week. Well I would be happy if the problem would have been solved on it's own but I don't quite believe that :)
    btw MP is showing insanely large fonts every first time I start it after such a crash. Second time font size is ok again. Could be a hint?

thx, Knilch2000

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    k, do you have an idea what might be causing this then by any chance?
    No idea.... :(

k thx. Well so far it hasn't occured since last week. Well I would be happy if the problem would have been solved on it's own but I don't quite believe that :)
    btw MP is showing insanely large fonts every first time I start it after such a crash. Second time font size is ok again. Could be a hint?
    Not for me, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom