"Browsing Mini Guide" (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

A feature that BeyondTV and GB-PVR have that would make Mediaportal kick major arse.

Bascially what it does is when you're watching a certain channel and you press arrow up or down on the remote a little channel browser appears as a bar at the bottom of the screen listing what's on each channel as you flip through them. Then when you press enter you go to that channel you have in the mini browser.

I have this feature in the Scientific Atlanta cable box supplied by Comcast cable and in my experience it's very userful and convenient to be able to see what's on a channel before acually going to them instead of manual channel surfing (channel up/channel down).

small-livetv2.jpg

This is what it looks like in GBPVR.

MonteGoulding

Portal Member
April 24, 2005
Adelaide, South Australia
This sounds like a great idea. It might also negate the need to improve channel switching on the TV guide. One way to do this might be to have a Now On screen that uses the EPG data and just lists the channels and what's currently on. If you use VMR9 then it could be used like an OSD.

Cheers

Monte

bigj

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
I third this!

Its the biggest WAF issue for me. Our dedicated noikia DVBT box does this and we do miss it.

It's a simple non-technical improvement that would dramatically improve user friendliness. :)

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    That is what the zap-osd does. (F7/F8 ) on the keyboard I think.
    only that you do not have to press "enter" but the channel changes after a definable time span.

Or didn´t I get the point?

tomtom

Elf

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2005
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is exactly what the Sky digibox does and it's got to be the most useful feature of the system. I use it all the time.

If MP supported this I would never look back!

Sky also does little tricks like when you press left/right it scrolls through the timeslots for the channel displayed, so you can see what's coming on later on a channel you're not currently watching, without changing channel or going to the EPG. You can even hit enter on a show that hasn't started yet and it will just set the reminder. This sort of behaviour is a nice-to-have, but the basic miniguide is a must-have!

Dazzyb2K3

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    London, UK
    I'd like to add my support for this. I've used showshifter quite a lot and it has a similar function which proved indispensable. I really miss this feature in MP.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As tomtom21000 said, it's supported in Media Portal. (config option: "use VMR9-ZapOSD")

Get the 0.1.3.0 (pre-)release version, when it's out.

jpskiller

Portal Member
    May 30, 2005
    UK
    MP Does support f7/f8, but it would be a great deal better if it could be done via remote natively and without it changing channel on you if you pause too long to read, keep up the good work

Elf

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2005
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes Zap-OSD almost does this, but the issue is that it changes channel automatically after you've paused on one for a few seconds. I'd rather you had to press Enter to change to the displayed channel and the timeout just cancelled the OSD and left you on the channel you were already watching. This is the way Sky does it and it's very intuitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom