BSOD issue (1 Viewer)

Will101

Portal Member
March 25, 2008
Kent
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had been using MP RC1 since it came out on my old PC which has been dragged back into service as an HTPC. The specs are old (Athlon XP 2000+, 1GB DDR 333 RAM etc, around 7 years old) but it works fine for playing and recording freeview (DVT) channels using a Hauppage WinTV Nova-T 500.

Then it broke. I have no idea what happened but MP would no longer start. There had been no changes to the OS so I was quite baffled. I fiddled a bit, then reinstalled MP RC1 as wasn't getting anywhere. MP still wouldn't run and was crashing mid start-up.

The next step was to install SP3, dvb fix, etc as per the wiki and install MP RC2. Well, this was a step forward. I could run MP but was not able to auto detect the available channels. More fiddling ensued before I achieved success by un-installing the TV card and re-installing it via device manager. Now the scan picked up channels and I was ready to go.

Then the BSODs started. At first I suspected overheating so I de-fluffed the air vents and dusted the interior and fans. No change.

It seemed to be happening when a recording started whilst viewing another channel. Fiddling was done but then random crashes happened even when just watching a channel.

A few times when it has crashed whilst I've been there it has been at the exact moment I pressed a button on the Hauppage remote (the vol up button this morning) but it also happens when the remote is not in use.

There are so many setting configurations I could try but I was wondering if anyone has had any similar issues?

Can someone point me to a guide of how to track down the cause of BSODs?

Many thanks,

/Perplexed of Kent

jamesm

Portal Member
May 28, 2006
Scotland
Home Country

bolders

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
Home Country
Hi

When your PC crashes does it display something like

BSOD Driver_IRQL_less_than_or_equal - USBEHCI.SYS

if so have a look here as its probably your NOVA-T 500 causing the problem

BSOD: Driver_IRQL_less_than_or_equal - USBEHCI.SYS - Page 23 - Hauppauge UK Forum

look at post #229

The problem is with an updated version of the usbehci.sys that microsoft released. Reverting back to an older version (5.1.2600.2180) should solve the problem. I was plagued with this BSOD for about a year but havent had one since reverting back to this version of the file however, I dont think you can run SP3 with it. I had trouble when i tried it so I am still on SP2 and will stay that way untill MS release a fix for it.

You should find all details on what to do and some background information on the problem in the link supplied.

Hope this can solve your problems

bolders

jonbnz

Portal Member
April 30, 2008
Home Country
England England
I see BSOD all the time. So hard to definitively work out what is causing it 95% of the time. Does it ever happen outside of MP? You can configure Windows to write a full dump of your memory. So for you that would be a 1GB DMP file. You then WinDbg to debug the file. That should point you to the driver causing the issues (if it shows Anti Virus program that is a red herring)

There are plenty of guides around
How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

Ollster

Portal Member
December 4, 2006
Home Country
What the bolders says about the MS USB driver is correct. I get exactly the same crash since installing SP3. I get it probably once a day, and it's driving me nuts!

Also, you can't just replace the driver with a pre SP3 version, as Windows will then refuse to boot.

The best solution would be to rollback to SP2 if you can (I can't rollback, so I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade to Vista).

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    try downloading the latest drivers from Hauppauge. I have the nova t500 running fine on XP SP3 with no issues, running MP1.0

4.3.25080 driver has not changed in the last 18+ month's, so there is no updated driver for this card :(

So I suspect that for the guy concerned, the driver address got corrupted, if you then uninstall the T500 and reinstall, which seems to work at first, the chances of BSOD's suddenly become very real (had it myself) and hcwclear does bugger all to fix the problem, only a clean install of the OS did, even SP3, but you need to format drive first, otherwise some old settings remain to haunt you.

Regards

Eeyore

Portal Pro
    April 2, 2006
    Newcastle, Australia
    Home Country
    well, i've finally got around to rolling back to this older version of USBEHCI.sys after MP rebooting part way through a recording for the wife, and then the recording not working correctly after to reboot :( needless to say, I got in trouble :)

I'll give MP a good work out with dual recordings tonight, but going from the above posts, it should resolve the issue

Ollster

Portal Member
    December 4, 2006
    Home Country
    My "solution" was to get rid of XP-SP3 and install Vista instead, seeing I couldn't rollback at all on XP.

Rock solid now (until Vista SP2, and then who knows?!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom