Bug: Certain .avi files refuse to play (2 Viewers)

nnifty

September 12, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 2.3.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: ReVision
Windows Version: XP SP2
CPU Type:
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard:
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: MCE remote
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Certain .avi files refuse to play. The screen flickers then Mediaportal acts as if nothing has happened. This happens in My Videos as well as My TV Series. Only four files out of maybe 40 or so refuse to play. They play fine in both VLC and WMP though. The files that refuse to play are Xvid encoded, other Xvids work fine though.

[Edit: Added test tool log files]

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are the file extensions setup under MP setup Movies\ for these individual files ie .mp4 (hidden normally), so you will need to disable "Hide extensions for known file types" under folder options\views to be able to see if anything needs to be added.

What codec is being used FFDShow etc.

deebo

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    i had this problem, it was because some software had installed a "generic mpeg4 codec" that was trying to play the files, but ofcourse couldnt

install a codec management program (gspot can do this) and get rid of the useless codecs

nnifty

September 12, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The only codec installed was Xvid. Definantly not FFDShow. Although there were two options to uninstall Xvid in the "remove programs" dialog. One was the Xvid that came with AutoGK, and the other was the official install from the Xvid website. The official install was not the newest version though. So I removed that and downloaded the newest codec (something I should've done before I posted) and this has solved the problem. Odd that it should only affect Mediaportal though and not VLC or Windows Media Player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom