building first media center with spare parts, need cpu (1 Viewer)

UserErr0r

October 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm trying to build a media center with the old computer parts that I have, but I still need a decent CPU, and I don't know if my video card is good enough. The goal is to get it to play movies, music, pictures, and downloaded TV shows, and I have no plans to put in a TV tuner card or use HDTV any time soon.

Before that though, is everything else up to par?
RAM: 512+128MB PC2100 DDR
Graphics: GeForce 2 32MB (could be 64mb) MX400 w/ TV Out (DirectX 7 - I see the guide suggests DX9, but that's out of my budget)
PSU: 350W
Mobo: ASUS P4S533-X (socket 478)

Back to the CPU, I was eying this. (Cheapest one I could find ;), with the next one costing twice as much)
It matches the socket, but beyond that, I don't know if theres anything else to check for compatibility to the ASUS P4S533-X and RAM. 2 things on that I see which I don't know will hurt performance are that it's a Celeron, and that it lacks HT support.

So can I get away with having a poor-man's media portal and only spending an additional $40 on it for that CPU (can anyone tell me if it's 100% compatible and fast enough to run MP), or do I have to step up on the CPU and/or Video?

sdalberg

Portal Member
March 31, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Home Country
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141051

thats out of your budget?

Here's the problem, if you have a D7 video card, you will have to do all of the D9 stuff (video decoding) in CPU, thereby taxing your CPU harder. Your CPU may or may not cope, but it will run hotter, and your fans will spin faster... Its a trade off, but I'd spend the $38 on an updated video card too. With a D9 video card, your CPU would probably be just fine.

If you really don't want TV, you could just use an old xbox and run XBMC. I'm not saying thats a better solution, but if you have an Xbox, its probably cheaper.

Portal Member
April 5, 2007
Home Country
What are you going to do for input? You'll need an encoder card to pull in at least one video signal. And with a lower end CPU like that you will need something with hardware encoding like a PVR-150.

I started out like you with an older P4 2.4GHz machine. I knew I needed to spend the money on the encoder card($90). But once I did that and realized it would work then I replaced the video card because the fan was too noisy and since I want to do HD I went with a 7600GS(+$120). Then I wanted a horizontal form factor box that looked decent(+$65). Then I replaced the CPU fan to cut the noise further($25). And two ultra quiet box fans($10). So $300 later I have something I like. And now add another $90 to add an HDTV card and second encoder card so you can watch TV and record at the same time. $400 later and now we really have what we want....It's a slippery slope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom