Built in player or external? (1 Viewer)

ANARCHY

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 20, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi just discovered Media portal, so far so good. Sampled Vistas media centre and thought I must get myself something like that!

I will have loads of questions but to start with I have always used Media player classic it works great for most of my vids, do most people use media portals player or external ones, what are the pros and cons? I think I would like to use MPC as an external player but I cant seem to make it close after the video has played and then return to media portal.

Does anyone use MPC with Media portal?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Gooses guide will play just about everything mpc will, using the internal player (search goose).

This can be dependent hardware wise though.

Welcome to MP.

Hope you do not reign over us :)

kazuma6666

Portal Member
    March 2, 2008
    I use the following command line switches :
    %filename% /play /fullscreen /close

Opens the video in fullscreen, play it and then close the player. Works well with MP.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I believe that most people use the internal player, as it:
    - easy to use
    - has a good GUI
    - Gives a good picture due to the fact that you can choose decoders and use postprocessing (FFDShow).
    - Good support for subs

How about a poll? If it is OK with threadstarter ... ?

kazuma6666

Portal Member
    March 2, 2008
    I'm watching a lot of animes in japanese, so everything is subbed. Some subs do not load in the internal player. That's why I'm using media player classic.

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Mmh,

I configured zoomplayer, as I have used it for years. Better alternative to media classic.
    Especially the custom graphs and the flexibility with codecs and subs is quite handy.

Only thing I missed was a GUI for video/audio libraries. There mp came into play.
    No problem so far in combining both.

mascot

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I never got the internal player to start, so I use MPC for everything in my movies, allthough I would like powerdvd8 to play my dvd's (both .iso and .img from hdd and from the disc.)

Can I use the internal player with different codecs for different file extensions? LIke coreavc/haali combo for .mkv's and ffdshow for dvd .iso and .img?

ac3filter
    vsfilter (directvobsub with audoloading)
    haali media splitter
    coreavc

thats what I use in MPC for x264 movies and tv series.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    You can define a SD decoder and a HD decoder for videos.

Major_Mess

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2006
    ZP user here. Major problem with internal player apart from lack of customisation, is no Overlay. Problem with external player will be the need to remap/configure remote keys fro the external app, and possible focus issues to sort out.

I never got the internal player to start, so I use MPC for everything in my movies, allthough I would like powerdvd8 to play my dvd's (both .iso and .img from hdd and from the disc.)

Can I use the internal player with different codecs for different file extensions? LIke coreavc/haali combo for .mkv's and ffdshow for dvd .iso and .img?

Meedio has a great plugin for external players, where you can assign different players to different media types(along with a heap of other stuff). A similar plugin for MP would be very helpful but at present does not exist.

Playmee for Meedio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom