Buying a hybrid card (DVB-T and analogue) (1 Viewer)

albedan

Portal Member
August 27, 2006
Hi all, that's my first post here and I'm looking for suggestions ;)
I'm building a HTPC and I've yet to decide which card to use to acquire analogue and digital input.
My main options are:

http://www.eprice.it/default.aspx?sku=1098328

or

http://www.eprice.it/default.aspx?sku=640826

I think the Asus one could be a good choice, but I can't find it in the "supported cards" list (and I can't find a good review, too...), while the hvr 1100 looks fully supported. Actually other cards using the Philips713x chipset are supported, so I think the Asus should work...

BTW I could choose any card from the following list: http://www.eprice.it/default.aspx?cat3=1109
... but I think that the two I've linked before are probably the best (price/performance wise). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway I'd like to spend less than than 100€.
Your help is greatly appreciated ;)

Edit: I forgot to say that the card I'm looking for has to be PCI

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

I'd take a look at the HVR-1300 (http://www.eprice.it/default.aspx?sku=640825) from hauppauge (or something similar) as the analog part comes with a hardware MPEG2 encoder which works way better with MP. The HVR-1100 (while it's fully supported) uses software encoding to MPEG2 so would consume way more CPU power. It costs way more, but in the end it's worth every buck (if you really need analog reception).

Kind regards,
    Michel

albedan

Portal Member
    August 27, 2006
    Thanks scoop, actually analogue reception is quite secondary to me, so the hvr1300 seems a bit to pricey considering 90% of the times I'll use the digital signal. Moreover I'm using an A64 3200+ for my HTPC and I hope it will be enough also for a card that only does software encoding on the analogue input.
    Another question: do hvr-1100 and hvr-1300 only differ on analogue encoding (1100-sw and 1300-hw)? That is, are they identical for digital (DVB-T) reception?
    And how does the Asus card (Philips7131H based) compare with them?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    considering 90% of the times I'll use the digital signal

Then I suggest dual DVB-T card, as watch/record, it is of much more use, to be able to access all digital channels, from both a choice and quality point of view.

only my opinion

Regards

albedan

Portal Member
    August 27, 2006
    Then I suggest dual DVB-T card, as watch/record, it is of much more use, to be able to access all digital channels, from both a choice and quality point of view.

Well, this could be an option, but I'd like to be able to watch also analogue signal.. and I've never really had the need to watch a channel and record another one.

Opinions on the Asus card (P7131H) or other Philips713x-based cards are still needed... ;)

albedan

Portal Member
    August 27, 2006
    Asus P7131H (dual) and HVR-1100 users

After reading lots of posts and opening a discussion in the "Hardware Selection Help" section, I've decided to buy either the Hauppage HVR-1100 or the Asus P7131H (both hybrid cards, DVB-T and analogue). There is actually a third alternative (the HVR-1300) which seems a bit too pricey.
    The question is: apart from specific problems someone has with particular configurations, what's the status of the support of these cards in Media Portal 0.2.0.4 (that is, stable release plus latest updates)?

I'd like Asus P7131H (dual) and HVR-1100 users to tell me if digital and analogue reception both work well and what version of MP they are using.
    Thanks ;)

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

Both the Hauppauge HVR-1100 and the Asus P7131H should be supported in MediaPortal (judging by the capture card definitions file). I don't own either of these cards so I can't tell you anything about the quality of these cards.

Kind regards,
    Michel

albedan

Portal Member
    August 27, 2006
    In the end I bought the HVR-1100 for 70€ and it works great ;)
    DVB-T video and audio quality is excellent (cpu load on a 2,2 GHz AthlonXP is approximately 20% when viewing), analogue quality is good (and cpu load does not exceed 70%).
    Using MP 0.2.0.4 with no problems. The remote controller works great, too.
    Conclusion: IMO a good card for DVB-T users who still want the possibility to capture analogue signal.

mickelin

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    CPU at 100% with HVR-1100

Albedan, my CPU is constantly running at 100% while viewing analog with a HVR-1100. My CPU is a P4 2.0GHz, which admitedly is below the Hauppauge min spec. I'm waiting for a 3.2GHz, which will hopefully perform better, but meanwhile I'm curious as to which video codec you are using? The MPV or one of the Hauppauge ones supplied with the HVR-1100?

Thanks,
    Michael

albedan

Portal Member
    August 27, 2006
    Albedan, my CPU is constantly running at 100% while viewing analog with a HVR-1100. My CPU is a P4 2.0GHz, which admitedly is below the Hauppauge min spec. I'm waiting for a 3.2GHz, which will hopefully perform better, but meanwhile I'm curious as to which video codec you are using? The MPV or one of the Hauppauge ones supplied with the HVR-1100?

Thanks,
    Michael

I'm using MPV. I think that a P4 3.2 should be enough for analog tv (while a P4 2.0GHz is certainly slower than a 2.2GHz athlon xp, so it doesn't surprise me that the cpu usage is 100%).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom