Can I bypass timeshifting and recording and just display the raw tv feed? (1 Viewer)

embo500

February 24, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.1
MediaPortal Skin: B&W 1080p
Windows Version: 7 x64
CPU Type: Intel Atom
HDD: 160GB
Memory: 2GB
Motherboard: Intel
Video Card: Onboard NVidia
Video Card Driver: NVidia
Sound Card: Onboard NVidia
Sound Card AC3: Onboard NVidia
Sound Card Driver: NVidia
1. TV Card: AverMedia H826 USB
1. TV Card Type: USB
1. TV Card Driver: Latest from AverMedia
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Intervideo
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ?
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Dish Network
HTPC Case: small
Cooling: Fans
Power Supply: 130w?
Remote: MCE
TV: Vizio P42
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hello. In my current setup, I have a Dish Network dish outside my house that comes into my basement into a vip722 dual tuner receiver. The main HD feed from this receiver goes to my TV in the basement. The 2nd feed from the receiver is back hauled through the RG6 in the house, to the upstairs bedroom on analog channel 73. So connecting an RG6 cable from the bedroom TV to the wall jack, I can tune in to channel 73 and view Dish programming via the 2nd tuner, even though the Dish receiver itself is in the basement (the remote is RF and works through the walls to change channels).

My question is...I have this AverMedia USB analog tuner card on a MediaPortal PC in the bedroom. I have gotten it set up in the TV Server, played around with it some, and it works fine tuned in to channel 73. But there is a noticeable lag because the TV Server is writing all that video from the tuner to disk in case I need to timeshift or record. Thus, when I press a button on the remote (changing the channel on the tuner in the basement), it isn't reflected on the screen for nearly 5 seconds through the tuner and TV Server. Connected direct to the TV (bypassing mediaportal), it is instantaneous.

Since the Dish receiver already has a DVR built into it and all I am using this for is a way to get all my stuff centralized (TV, movies, music, etc.), is there a way I can use the AverMedia tuner to tune in to channel 73 and show the direct live feed in MediaPortal, bypassing any queuing or recording to disk? Ideally in this situation the video stream would never touch the hard disk at all, and would simply be spit out to the screen. I believe this would offer performance comparable to hooking it direct to the TV and would get rid of the lag with the remote control. For DVR functions, I would simply continue use the Dish receiver functions just like I already do. All I need to do is tune to channel 73 and spit out the video to the screen as it arrives.

I'm not sure if the TV Server can run in this way or not, or if there is a better plug in for doing simple tuning, but I thought I'd ask here first. If not, I guess I'll probably have to hook it back direct to the TV and jockey an extra remote when I need to change my source signal.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    This question has been asked many times....just search the forums. It is not possible to switch Time-Shift off with TV-Server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom