Can I use MP and Skins in HTPC's for sale? (1 Viewer)

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
May 28, 2006
Den Bosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I'd like to know if I can use MP and skins to sell home-built HTPC's.

I know MP is free to dl but what about the skins and plugins? Can I use these as sellingpoints and could I post these in sale ads?

jestermgee

Portal Pro
February 23, 2008
In a house
Home Country
This is funny, i'm watching a discussion o this on another forum for freeware software....

I am not fully sure of the legalities of it but morally I think that if it is free, but you plan to make some kind of profit off it, you should compensate those that have put in the effort to create it for you. Offer the plugin creators and the programmers involved some donations to spur them on.

I'm not sure if offering a free app on a PC is much different than offering a free download.... Plus, you have invested your own time installing and configuring the program so you could charge the customer for programming time, not the software (it's still free)) or offer them a discount in programming if they download and configure themselves...

trelm249

Portal Member
May 25, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I don't see that it is much different than selling a PC with Linux preloaded.

I assume you are charging for the hardware, commercial software and service(labor, skill and expertise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Prerequisites A Spotify account (free or premium) I've not tested with a free account, but according to spotify it should work. Spotify desktop app installed on same computer as you are going to use with MediaPortal Getting ready Create an app at spotify, use this link: Dashboard | Spotify for Developers, you have to login. Click...
Prerequisites A Spotify account (free or premium) I've not tested with a free account, but according to spotify it should work...
Prerequisites A Spotify account (free or premium) I've not tested with a free account, but according to spotify it should work...
Replies
Views
I have all of my media on a NAS. I guess it might just be a network issue, then.
I have all of my media on a NAS. I guess it might just be a network issue, then.
Whenever I go into the back end for Moving Pictures, it almost immediately hangs on the Movie Importer tab. If I want to go into...
Replies
Views
I have not experienced that myself, and I don't know of any reason why that might occur (but my knowledge of how TV Server works is not extensive). It is strange that you mention this because there are now four DVB-T channels in the UK that behave in the same way (this is new for the UK). I think that these might be some sort of...
I have not experienced that myself, and I don't know of any reason why that might occur (but my knowledge of how TV Server works is...
I am running MePo 1.32 X86 on Windows 11 Ryzen 9 7900X 32GB DDR5 RAM 1TB NVME Boot Drive 4TB NVME Data drive RTX 3060 12GB I have...
Replies
Views
(egg in face) I had to dnld SD plugin mpe1 to re install. trying again Thnx
(egg in face) I had to dnld SD plugin mpe1 to re install. trying again Thnx
Pre Releases are provided as a way for the community to test and give feedback on all the exciting things we have lined up for the...
Replies
Views
THX for info. 0.62 plugin version doesn't crash with MP 1.31 therefore, it seems to me to be little buggy...
THX for info. 0.62 plugin version doesn't crash with MP 1.31 therefore, it seems to me to be little buggy...
Started on: 2023-12-26 last update: 2023-12-26 Summary: Minimize the amount of data written to disk by simulating a tempfs RAM...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom