Can i use this old laptop? (1 Viewer)

L

lingus

Hello everyone, i have been lurking for a couple of weeks now and just want to ask a quick question.

I have a old Dell Latitude C800
256mb
40gb hdd
p3 700
XP
S-video tv out

I want to try my hand at a pvr maybe buying the hauppauge PVR-USB2 capture box and the recording programs then playing them back through the s-video connector.
Does anyone think this is ok to do or would it be best to try and save up to buy a itx system or something, i don't have alot of space hance my idea for the laptop and money is non-existant at the mo too :(
Comments appreciated.

Thanks
J

L

lingus

I guess not then :(
I was looking for the specs of MP bit culdn't find them.

Thx

pacoma

Portal Pro
March 22, 2005
Wil
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
you can't use the Laptop becaus you must haver XP SP1 or better SP2 and the 700Mhz was to must. take one who have 1000 or more.

hakuna

Portal Pro
October 15, 2004
Gothenburg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
pacoma said:
you can't use the Laptop becaus you must haver XP SP1 or better SP2 and the 700Mhz was to must. take one who have 1000 or more.

Noone told me! I am running xpsp2 on a 500 and a 667! Will my motherboard be worn out?

/nic

Mr.Mitchell

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    the Netherlands
    lingus said:
    i don't have alot of space hance my idea for the laptop and money is non-existant at the mo too :(
    Well, if you already have the laptop you could just install MP and see if it works and how it performs. If it works OK for you you might consider buying the PVR USB2 or maybe you can borrow one to try before you buy. But for me using TV (with timeshift) seems to be the most CPU consuming part of MP, so you might want to think twice before buying the external TV card.

curtis-craig

Portal Member
    February 5, 2005
    a few days ago, i talked to somebody from hauppauge about usb dvb-t cards. he said, the nova-t usb2 wont work with usb2 because it's an usb2 device. so i think it's same with the PVR-USB2 but I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Ok, i thought so, but why did it work 10 yeaes ago with WinTV? As I said, it is not so important. How about the Hauppauge HVR 1300 für analoge capturing? Does this card work with Windows 7 64bit and 12GB System Memory ? Emulators are nice, but I like the retro feeling of the original controlers. So I think the best way would be a...
    Ok, i thought so, but why did it work 10 yeaes ago with WinTV? As I said, it is not so important. How about the Hauppauge HVR 1300...
    Hello, i m searching for a new composite/s-video capture card (PAL), which I would like to use in MediaPortal. I want to use my...
    Replies
    Views
    Good for you that you have decided and have fun with it putting it together and seeing your first real HTPC coming to life!
    Good for you that you have decided and have fun with it putting it together and seeing your first real HTPC coming to life!
    Dear all, As you al know it is great to have al you media available in you living room. So last year I started playing with...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi and welcome to MP forum, As i understood you want to setup a channel which will take an input from capture card. Later on you will record this channel so that it would be saved to hard drive and later using some third party application convert and burn to dvd. Is it what you are trying to do? If yes then you will need to open...
    Hi and welcome to MP forum, As i understood you want to setup a channel which will take an input from capture card. Later on you...
    I'm trying to set up equipment and software to record TV programs from a cable signal and to record VHS content on my WinXP Pro SP3...
    Replies
    Views
    Same problem with a macro - the PC only has a power toggle available - so that you cannot send a power off only command
    Same problem with a macro - the PC only has a power toggle available - so that you cannot send a power off only command
    Just completed a project I've been working on for a while. Because it was a learning curve I've kept it cheap with a few "hrm"...
    Replies
    Views
    If you laptop have DVI output, you can conect laptop-TV with DVI-HDMI cable. Howeber every laptop have VGA output, and modern HD-TV have VGA input. I try this and show at 16:9
    If you laptop have DVI output, you can conect laptop-TV with DVI-HDMI cable. Howeber every laptop have VGA output, and modern...
    I have an older laptop that has a 4X3 screen. It has an S-video output that I want to connect to my 16X9 TV Which skin should...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom