Can Mediaportal automatically record to network devices? (1 Viewer)

knight1fox3

Portal Member
September 30, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Greetings everyone,

I recently purchased a NAS that I will have store all my media and stream to other PCs on my home network. Currently, I use Windows XP (media center edition) to record TV shows. MCE will record to a network device but has trouble starting automatically. My question is, does Mediaportal support automatically recording to network devices? So if I wanted a program to record at 7pm, and was not at my PC, would Mediaportal be able to schedule that recording and also record that program to my NAS. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if there are any questions or if I need to provide additional information on my application. Thanks!

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    You can manually set both your timeshift and your recording folder to whatever folder you want on any machine in the network as long as it has access to it, and is allowed to write to it.

You can also schedule recordings using the TV guide.

So if I understand you correctly the answer is yes, and yes.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    If you run TVServer, you will need to set the TVService service to start under different credentials because the Local System account doesn't have network acess.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    If you run TVServer, you will need to set the TVService service to start under different credentials because the Local System account doesn't have network acess.

I haven't tried it, but a few people have had issues with recording to network locations (or even mapped drives) when using the new TV server architecture. The original TV Engine has no trouble though (select "no HD" when asked about your TV viewing habits).

Although, from what Stoked writes, he may have found the simple answer to that issue.
    Congratulations if so, that makes a lot of sense.

Cheers,
    Marcus.

MrMech

Portal Member
    July 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks, this thread was truly helpful. :D

Like wroted in this thread, tvservice runs with local rights by default. By changing the user for tvservice, I was able to record directly using network paths. However, the mapped drives continued not to work - this might be due some winXP restrictions as its only capable of accesing with one network name at the time.

Note for developers....
    As I struggled with this for a while, I noticed that even the most current MP revision does not handle such TsWritter errors well. When TvService has no access to targetted path only logs will tell that recording failed.

error.log : subch:0 tswriter StartRecord failed:1

TsWritter.log : Recorder:unable to create file:

The result was that the corresponding recording starts, saves to database and is shown on MP, even as the file was never created.

For this second one, I don't know if its related but when starting to record ongoing programs (that cause the abowe file-failure) - occassionally MP did not switch to recording state (rec-balloon&menu changes) - so, maybe the frontend did notice some failure from time to time :confused:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom