Can the file 'mediastate.dll' be used for external VFD/LCD info? (1 Viewer)

floepie

Portal Pro
November 5, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
TV-Server Version: None
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3 RC3
MediaPortal Skin: Revision
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate
CPU Type: Intel P4 2.6
HDD: Hitachi 250 GB
Memory: 1.25 GB
Motherboard: Shuttle 75g2
Motherboard Chipset: Broadcom
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: nVidia 7600GS
Video Card Driver: Latest
Sound Card: Realtek Onboard
Sound Card AC3: S/PDIF out - yes
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge PVR150
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver: Latest
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Power DVD
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MS Audio
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Verizon FiOS
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Hauppauge MCE
TV: Sharp 32" LCD
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I'm considering an Omaura case for my HTPC build. Its display relies on the info (current music track, etc.) passed along by the 'mediastate.dll' file, which is normally used by the built-in Vista Media Center.

Could Mediaportal be used with such an LCD display that uses this mediastate.dll file?

Thanks!

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    You can't use MediaState.dll with MediaPortal, it's for Media Center only.

However, we have a few guys on the forums here that do amazing things with LCD displays, so hopefully one of them will be able to tell you how to get yours working.

Cheers,

cybrmage

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Could Mediaportal be used with such an LCD display that uses this mediastate.dll file?

The mediastate.dll is the iMediaStatusSink interface driver... This provides an interface that is MCE compatible...

To drive an MCE display, you have two options...
    1) The MCE Display plugin
    2) The CybrDisplay plugin

Either of these plugins will drive an MCE compatible display...

BUT, be aware that an MCE display is VERY limited in what it can display... Media Center was never designed to provide the amount of information that either of the MediaPortal plugins will provide...

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Interesting. Thanks! This is what I do know regarding this OLED display:

The drivers use Vista WHQL RS232 drivers as it's a USB to Serial device - they don't automatically install but if you update the drivers and select search online it will download them automatically. We have our own software front end to interface with themediastate.dll to display what is going on inside of Media Center.

I hope with one of the 2 plugins you mention, I could get things to work with it.

When you say that MCE displays aren't geared for displaying as much info that the plugins could provide, do you mean that the info becomes truncated and otherwise difficult to have anything displayed in a meaningful fashion?

Perhaps I should start reading up on some threads where all of this has probably been discussed before.

:D

cybrmage

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I hope with one of the 2 plugins you mention, I could get things to work with it.

Either will work.

When you say that MCE displays aren't geared for displaying as much info that the plugins could provide, do you mean that the info becomes truncated and otherwise difficult to have anything displayed in a meaningful fashion?

I mean that the MCE interface is designed to display only the information that Microsoft deemed important when they designed the specification...

There is no provision for Equalizer display, progress bars, customization of displayed information, display blanking, etc. It will display basic information... song/video name, play position, etc... and is usable...

Perhaps I should start reading up on some threads where all of this has probably been discussed before.

There is a section of the forum dedicated to external status display devices... HERE

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom