Can TVE3 run in a virtual machine? (1 Viewer)

MadDuke

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    TV-Server Version: Rev16264
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC3 Rev16261
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo-Wide
    Windows Version: Vista Home Premium 64bit
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 AM2 4200+ 65W
    HDD: Samsung SpinPoint P80SD SATAII
    Memory: 4 x G.Skill DDRII 1GB PC800
    Motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Motherboard Chipset: NVIDIA nForce® 570
    Motherboard Bios: Asus BIOS3
    Video Card: Gainward Bliss 8600GT
    Sound Card: Club3D Theatron Agrippa 7.1 DTS
    Sound Card AC3: Coaxial S/PDIF out
    1. TV Card: Club3D ZapTV 860mini (USB)
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    2. TV Card: TechnoTrend S2-3200 HDTV-S2
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Viasat "Guld" (Sirius on 5°E)
    HTPC Case: Silverstone LC16M
    Cooling: Zalman CNPS9500 AM2
    Power Supply: Seasonic S12-430 - 430Watt
    Remote: IMON
    TV: Sharp LC-37XD1E (37" LCD)
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

Hi, im considering the posibillity of running the tv-server in a virtual windows machinen, on a Linux host!
    (because I mainly want to use linux as my server, but sadly the TV-server is not designed for that evironment!)

Does anyone have experince with this?

My three main concerns are;
    • Whether you can install the tuners-cards in a vitual windows - and whether the TV-server can utilize them!
    • Whether there are to high demans on the harddisk's read/write profomance due to the contant access to the timeshift-file! (This might to 'fixed' with the proper config of harddrives in the virtual machine)
    • Whether a TV-stream from a virtual machine, will be 'as good as normal' (without loosing frames etc on the client HTPC!)

I hope some of you have some experience in this field, or perhapse just some surgestions!
    -if not, i'll do a bit of testing myself!

/MadDuke

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My three main concerns are;
    • Whether you can install the tuners-cards in a vitual windows - and whether the TV-server can utilize them!
    • Whether there are to high demans on the harddisk's read/write profomance due to the contant access to the timeshift-file! (This might to 'fixed' with the proper config of harddrives in the virtual machine)
    • Whether a TV-stream from a virtual machine, will be 'as good as normal' (without loosing frames etc on the client HTPC!)

I have some experience with VMware but have not tested to run TV-Server in a virtual environment. I think the lack of possibility to have direct access to hardware makes it impossible to use a TV-Card there. The other two points should be not a problem at all if your PC is fast enough. Since I don't have VMware installed on my TV-Server I cannot test the first point atm. Maybe you should give it a shot. I don't know which virtualization software you use at all, maybe yours enables direct hardware access (which I doubt).

-level20peon

MadDuke

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I was planing to usw WM-ware, as I doubt MS-Virtual Machine has been made for Linux ;-) (and I don't really know any other!)

/MadDuke

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom