Can you add a big button to the Wiki for MP? (1 Viewer)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    With the change in the web site and the updated Wiki, I am having a hard time remembering to go to the Wiki before posting to the forums for help. Is there any way that a button (preferable big so I don't forget :) could be added somewhere that says GO TO THE WIKI or something like that? It would help those of use who want to get help, but don't want to post questions that can be gotten from the wiki.

Steve

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi Steve - we did add a big button to the Forum menu for Wiki - it says "Manual/Documentation" Unfortunately on the main website page there is not room for both Forum and Wiki as Main Menu Items due to different browsers/settings etc. I did try to add links to Wiki pages wherever possible from the main website pages.

Do you have any suggestions how we can make it more obvious? Nice to hear someone actually wishes to check the Wiki first :D

I would also love to have a message display that when you add an answer in forums it says "Did you add this info to Wiki?" so it does not get lost. :p We live in hope!

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi Steve - we did add a big button to the Forum menu for Wiki - it says "Manual/Documentation"

Oh. I see. I guess I didn't understand that the manual/Documentation IS the Wiki. Thanks :)

Do you have any suggestions how we can make it more obvious? Nice to hear someone actually wishes to check the Wiki first :D

Well. I kept reading that I should read the Wiki through out the forum stickies and install instructions so maybe add the work Wiki to the button? Documentation seems a little old fashion especially for the type of person who is going to tackle Media Portal. The word Manual kind of covers what I would consider documentation. I think that it is more me just looking for an excuse for missing the button :p

Maybe change the button so that it does not look like the rest? Background that changes colors or is yellow/red/orange?

I would also love to have a message display that when you add an answer in forums it says "Did you add this info to Wiki?" so it does not get lost. :p We live in hope!

Yes that would be great. To quote a bimbo of our time "That's Hot!" I'm sure you know who that is.

Or maybe when someone types in a title that has key words these could be searched against previously posted topics which would then show up in a box below that asks the user "do these items answer your question?" I have seen this on the Quicken Community forum as well as other forums. Helps those that have a question that has been answered else ware as well as keeps the same topic from coming up over and over again.

Thanks for making Media Portal easy to use.

Steve

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Documentation seems a little old fashion especially for the type of person who is going to tackle Media Portal. The word Manual kind of covers what I would consider documentation. I think that it is more me just looking for an excuse for missing the button :p
    Who said we are not old fashioned? :p Point taken though, we say Wiki everywhere else (Top links on every MP web page Support sub menu item says Consult the Wiki, links say Wiki, but RSS feeds say Documentation and no where else do we use the term "Manual". I am always trying to improve consistency in MP terminology so I should probably practice what I preach!

Maybe change the button so that it does not look like the rest? Background that changes colors or is yellow/red/orange?
    Ummm, don't hold your breath for that one! Then why shouldn't Forum have a diff color too? why not Blogs? Button already changes to red when selected. I wanted blinking buttons, I don't know why some people objected :D

Or maybe when someone types in a title that has key words these could be searched against previously posted topics which would then show up in a box below that asks the user "do these items answer your question?" I have seen this on the Quicken Community forum as well as other forums. Helps those that have a question that has been answered else ware as well as keeps the same topic from coming up over and over again.
    Awesome idea Steve!!! Added to our long list. But we will try to do that.

Thanks for making Media Portal easy to use.
    You're welcome, but I think you are the first person who has ever said it is easy to use. You made my day/week/month/year!

Great feedback and suggestions!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom