cannot learn IR codes - "failed to learn IR" (1 Viewer)

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
November 14, 2004
Hi,

I'm new to the MCE stuff and I'm trying your MCE Replacement Plugin.
I want to learn IR codes. But as soon as I press the button "learn IR" I get the message "failed to learn IR". There is no delay, no chance to press a button on the remote. The message comes instantly.

What can I do to debug this?

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
November 14, 2004
there are no other sources. There is no red light at the receiver indicating that it receives any signal.
Nevertheless, the "failed to learn IR" message comes instantly after clciking on the "learn IR" button.

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
November 14, 2004
and btw: I'm not sure, who is responsible for learning IR signals, the big box with the red light or the small sensors connected with a cable to the box?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The big box does the learning. Do you know if you have a Microsoft first-party device, or is it a third party device?

Are you running Windows XP or Vista?

Also, try unplugging the device from the usb port and plugging it back in, sometimes they get confused.

Cheers,

andyd

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    and btw: I'm not sure, who is responsible for learning IR signals, the big box with the red light or the small sensors connected with a cable to the box?
    I found the same when learnign, but I clicked on learn again and it started working. So try clicking the learn again if it fails.

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2004
    I'm sorry to say, but re-plugging the device did not help. I also disconnected another infrared-keyboard - does not make any difference, too.

Behaviour is still the same: clicking on "learn IR" button results in "failed to learn IR" message without any delay.

Any other hints?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Ok, let's see ...

Are you using the standard Microsoft driver or are you using the MCE Replacement driver?

Is your remote an American or European/Australian remote?

What other IR devices do you have installed?

Does the plugin work for remote button presses?

Have you ever tried the MyBlaster plugin? If so, did it work?

I might get you to try a new plugin I'm working on if we can't this working within a couple of days...

Also, if you could supply some log files, your mediaportal.log and error.log that would help too.

Cheers,

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2004
    - standard MS driver (that means: I have XP SP2 and I don't have any driver installed, just plugged in the MCE device via USB).
    - american or europe: don't know. Labels on the remote are in english. On the back it says "model 1039"
    - I have a infrared keyboard (see http://www.mediacenterblog.eu/web/juliusbuss/blog.nsf/dx/additional-hardware.htm for an image). But I tested with keyboard unplugged, so that should not be the problem.
    - yes, works when I press a button on the remote. But somewhat weird: when I press for example the "right" button on the remote, Mediaportal jumps two times to the right.
    - no, I didn't tried myBlaster

I noticed funny things during my last tests: I entered setup, disabled the MP MCE support, closed setup. Opened setup again, enabled MCE replacement plugin, opened IR commands, edited on existing command, pressed "learn IR" and learnng worked.
    Then I created a new command, pressed "learn IR" and again the "failed to learn IR" message came instantly.

Then I closed setup, opened again, entered MCE replacement plugin configuration gain, then I could learn the 2nd command. Trying to relearn the first command failed again.

Everytime I closed and reopened setup I can learn exactly one command. Then it fails again.

The configuration log does not any related lines.
    No error log.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom