Cannot run without Directx 9.0c - Stuck with Games for Windows and Directx 10 (1 Viewer)

frankytown

December 28, 2008
Hi,

I recently installed MediaPortal 1.0 on my Windows XP SP3 box and a have a directx version error on startup (see screenshot).

I have directx 10 installed on my system as a result of the installation of the Games for Windows thing ("fake" Windows XP version)... (see screenshot again...)

Reinstalling DirectX 9.0c doesn't help.

I have always thought directx is backward compatible. Is the version checking code too strict on startup? Is the string that holds the version not parsed correctly?

Attached are some screenshots that demonstrate the problem. I also provide the full log.

Thanks for helping! :D

Attachments

• MediaPortal-20081227234843.jpg
    MediaPortal-20081227234843.jpg
    13 KB

Major_Mess

Portal Pro
June 18, 2006
With v1 there is now some checking for particular versions of files and filters etc. DX10 is not officially supported by XP and MP would be only checking for DX9c under XP. Give MP RC4 a go as it does not force you to have particular versions of files. I found RC4 crashed a bit, but most functions were OK and TV viewing and video playback were stable.

frankytown

December 28, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I tried RC4 and have the exact same problem. Are you sure RC4 is free of DirectX version checking?

I believe the code should warn the user rather then aborting on a possible mismatch...

Major_Mess

Portal Pro
June 18, 2006
No, I am not sure any version does not have Directx checking. It really is pretty hard finding what is and isn't going on with MP releases as documentation is not that easy to find. Changelogs etc have no real details and surprises such as the file checking turn up with no warning. You really do end up feeling quite alone in the MP community and requests for info go unanswered. Though I have no C programming experience, in my case it is probably time to start going through the source files(I can read it and work out what is going on, even though I have not programmed). Even though this would take days, that in know way compares to the months spent currently trying to sort out what is going on.

Back to your problem... Even when running Vista with Directx10, Directx9 is also required to be installed for all non Directx10 games and apps, do you have DX9c installed as well as your hacked DX10?

Major_Mess

Portal Pro
June 18, 2006
I have made a version that has no file or WMP checking, and it didnt take much more to remove the DirectX check so I have compiled a version for you to try.
DirectX is a much bigger deal than the other checks and I have no clue if MP will run under Directx10 only.
At least this version will allow people with issues to do some troubleshooting.

Backup your current mediaportal.exe and replace with the one from the archive.

I am currently running it with WMP10 and it has made the TV Client change channels in 2 to 4 seconds(connected to a separate server). Under WMP11 it would take from 8 to 20 seconds for me to change channels. I was also having occasional issues where I could not change channel, or it would jump around in the timeshift buffer on channel change. These issues also appear to have stopped.

So WOW what a change and it must be closer to what others have experienced who have no issues.

Attachments

• MediaPortal_v1_No_file_or_WMP_or_DirectX_checks.rar
    30.8 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I am currently running it with WMP10 and it has made the TV Client change channels in 2 to 4 seconds(connected to a separate server). Under WMP11 it would take from 8 to 20 seconds for me to change channels. I was also having occasional issues where I could not change channel, or it would jump around in the timeshift buffer on channel change. These issues also appear to have stopped.

There must have been something else that you have changed at the same time (or you have really messed up directshow filter collection that was cleaned by the WMP10 install process...) as WMP is not taking any part on the streaming / live tv / playing a recording.

Would be nice to know what it was, but unfortunately its really hard to tell.

Major_Mess

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2006
    So do u mean MP is not calling any part of WMP at all when displaying video, and it would actually still work with no WMP installed at all? I guess it's only directshow that is important? Is WMP only used for audio playback and there for third party media playback?

I have uninstalled WMP11 about 6 times while trying to get the TSFilesource working properly under Directshow apps. So it should not have had anything to do with the WMP change as I still had problems under MP when WMP11 was installed each time. I tried WMP10 because I knew installing WMP11 had stuffed up my main HTPC using MP0203 and I think RC2(have to look at my notes). The DVBFix also played havoc at that time, but at least it can easily be removed.

Attaching to the MP filter graph shows the same filters are being used. Nvidia for video and AC3 for audio. Cyberlink audio exhibited the same probs earlier and now plays OK as well. The only other MP related change I can think of was that I set the merits Mediaportal DVBSub2 and Mediaportal Stream Analyzer to Normal in case they were somehow affecting directshow TS playback. Today I also manually checked through the registry for all media types and CLSIDs etc, and they appear OK. I'll have another go at some manual graphs tomorrow with TSFilesource. Is there a version of the MP TSreader that can be registered and used by directshow apps?

I have also ended up with a different version of the quartz.dll than what comes with KB927544, which should be 6.5.2600.3024. The version I have is 6.5.2600.5512. Can't really tell how it was updated as the file creation date doesn't reflect the actual date of the copy. I will experiment with the recommend version, and I probably should check the original as well.

I understand that the developers are too busy to document, but hopefully some knowledgeable testers or long time users will turn up after the Christmas season and help with my other queries. The biggest help you guys could be to me is to point me in the direction of what MP did when it ripped TSFileSource out of my machine during the MP install. It won't be going on my new install, but a TV client would be handy and Ill check out the channel changer app and stream to zoomplayer or VLC for the moment.

I have two crushed discs in my neck and this whole drama of supposed updates and hotfixes has cost me many hundreds of hours, and the lack of sleep is now affecting my health. So hopefully I will be able to get smooth TS playback everywhere, and can finally get a finished install and then move on to giving something back to the MP community.

I will start a new thread in the appropriate forum to allow others to get the no check exe, and explain how to install with out the deploy tool. That will hopefully be some help to others who do not want to stuff around with a stable OS just to give MP a check out.

The big test will be the main HTPC and to see if I can get Live TV happening there with version 1, though that can wait until later in the week. If that works out than the only issues I see with MP are minor, mostly appearing as navigation problems. I may have had 1 or 2 crashes(they may have been during initial configs), but now find it very stable. The lack of Media directory handling is the biggest let down of MP as a whole, but the plugin community has given a few workaround options for that.

Thanks.

frankytown

December 28, 2008
    Working...

Thanks Major_Mess, the patched MediaPortal.exe did the trick.

I should open a ticket for that thing to be fixed. Do I need a special account for that?

I think people playing games bundled with the Games for Windows thing will all have this problem.

:D

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    We have just changed the way DirectX redist is detected. We don't rely on registry anymore.

Please try next public SVN once it will happear :p

Simone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom