Can't enter standby after installing MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

lafaki

Portal Member
February 5, 2007
Home Country
Greece Greece
__________________________________________________ _______________
Windows: Windows XP SP2 (patched up to February using autopatcher)
BIOS: 1222
MediaPortal: 0.2.2
Svn: 04-25-2007
Case: Silverstone GD01S-MXR
Motherboard: ASUS P5B-E
CPU: Core 2 Duo 4300 (s775/1,80G)
CPU Cooler: Zalman 9500 LED
RAM: KINGSTON KVR667D2N5/1G 1GB PC5300 667MHZ x 2
VGA Card: ASUS EAX1600PRO SILENT/TD 256MB PCI-E RETAIL
TV Tuner card: Hauppauge wintv pvr-500 mce
Hard Disk: SAMSUNG HD401LJ 400GB SATA2
Power Supply: Zalman ZM460-APS - power supply - 460 Watt
Remote: iMON PAD

Hi,

I have installed Windows XP together with all main applications on a new PC. I tried to enter Standby and it worked, both standby and resuming from standby.

Then I installed and configured Media Portal. When I tried to put the computer in standby mode S3 without any apps or MP running, the PC started the process but was not able to complete it. When it was about to complete, the fans were still on and after some seconds it resumed on its own.

As standby worked prior to the MP installation, I assume that the problem should not be related with hardware or with BIOS setup, although I can't be 100% sure.

Do you know what could cause this problem? Are there any other known occasions where MP might not allow a PC to enter standby?

I read a relevant post with similar standby problem but for the TV Engine, where the Power Scheduler did not allow somehow the PC to enter standby.

Regards,
Akis

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did you select allow "S3 even if other processes require it", or words to that effect in MP setup as this writes the USBBIOSx to the registry.

AFAIK this is the only thing that MP has any control over.

ronsonol

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2007
    Kingston
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yes, the checkbox is under general settings, and its called Allow S3 standby although wakeup devices are present. This cost me lots of hair pulling until I figured it out!

MP is also removing the entry usbbioshacks, and I have not figured out how to stop that either. Not sure what it does, but I have been trying all settings to enable resume from USB.

I can't get any of my USB devices to allow resume. I tried the MCE Standby tool, and none of the USB devices (Ati remote, USB-UIRT, and usb gamepad) show up in the device tab. All I see are the LAN card and PS2 KB/Mouse.

Under device manager, there are no power options on the devices themselves. The USB root hubs, do have this power management tab(if you don't have the registry entry DisableSelectiveSuspend set to 1), but the checkbox to Allow resume is unchecked and greyed out.

lafaki

Portal Member
    February 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Well, regardless what is the setting for "Allow S3 even if other processes...", the computer fails to enter Standby.

When attempting to enter Standby without any programs running (including MP), the computer returns back to Windows in normal state, and sometimes I get a "Power Surge" error from a USB Card Reader ?!?

When attempting to enter Standby within MP using the Power Scheduler relevant function, the computer attempts to enter standby, but it fails and then cannot return back to normal Windows operation (as above). After that, the computer can only be restarted with a hard reset.

lafaki

Portal Member
    February 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Standby problem fixed!

It seems that the generic standby problem has been solved!
    The computer can now enter standby and properly resume without any problems.

This was achieved by unchecking in the Device Manager the box:

"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

in the power management options of a USB Hub that was connected to a card reader device. The card reader seemed to prevent the computer from entering the standby mode (S3 & S4). Once the above setting was done, Windows most probably don't try to power down the device during standby and it therefore manages to successfully enter S3 and/or S4.

What led me to change the power management options of that specific device was the fact that it was generating USB "Power Surge Errors" (and unfortunately it still does).

If you have had power surge messages on USB and managed to overcome them, any ideas will be very appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom