cant find all available channels (also on same transponder)

Discussion in 'support' started by kkendall, June 9, 2007.

1. kkendall

kkendall Portal Pro

Senior Marketing & Communication
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2.0
    1. TV Card: FloppyDTV
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-C

I have a problem finding all the channels when I scan all transponders. It can't find some channels on a certain transponder. I live in Gouda, Holland and have Caiway DTV.

When I scan for channels, a lot, but not all available channels are in the list. For instance I miss RTL7, even though RTL 7 is on the same transponder as other channels like RTL 4, RTL5, Eurosport and NGC.... :confused:
    How is it possible mediaportal can't find RTL7 on the transponder, but can find all the other channels on that transponder?? :eek:
    If I hook my set-top-box back up to my tv, RTL7 works like a charm... What could be the problem here?
    What could be a solution or how could I add channels without knowing all the PID values?

I hope someone can help me on my way! :( :)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha

Buddha Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm also from Gouda :D Also got Caiway working with my Technotrend 1500-c, but I also can't find the exact data to manually add RTL7. I know some of the values when i copy them from my set-top box, but those are not enough :(

4. kkendall

kkendall Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Hi Buddha!
    I figured out how to add the RTL7 stream manually by looking at the other channels on the transponder! :D :)
    By comparing the PID values of the other channels on the same transponder I could then reason around what values RTL7 logically could be. And it worked! I will post the parameters for you when I get home from work.
    Why MediaPortal can't find this channel is one big mystery to me... :confused:

I saw yesterdayevening that I also miss BBC 3 and 4 so I will have to see if I can find these channels also. Do you have the same issue on your side and do you miss more channels I didn't notice yet? :)

5. Buddha

Buddha Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I also can't find BBC3 or 4, the only scrambled BBC channel i get here is BBC Prime. Another issue I have is that I can't hear any sound on Animal Planet nor CNN. Do you have the same issue? I'm using a technotrend 1500-c so maybe my problems are just hardware related.

6. kkendall

kkendall Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Yes, I do hear sound on Animal planet, but it is different than the other channels.

I use AC3 filter and it says that it receives MPEG audio 48000 over 1 stream, the center box. I use SPDIF passthrough only for DD and DTS. AC3filter gives a stream to my receiver with DD mono-center...
    So I get DD 1.0 for Animal planet. On my receiver I can than make it stereo over my left and right speakers.
    It seems to have an excellent quality though, but I don't know if this is the intended format...I doubt it to be honest...
    Offcource I can make changes to AC3filter so it gives a PCM stereo output to my receiver, which in his turn can convert it to PrologicII, but SPDIF passthrough gives me the best quality.
    I don't know whats the case for CNN, havent checked that one out.

Do you have more channels you don't receive?
    I still think its really weird that MediaPortal (or FloppyDTV, I don't know which is the guilty one) can't find all the channels, even when they are on the same transponder! It must be a bug or something in mediaportal, as you miss the exact same channels as I do, so it's not the reception of the signalstrength or something...
    This unreliability is a pain in the ass and I hope there will be an improved version of mediaportal soon! :)

btw I forgot to look at the settings for RTL7, sorry. Soon I'll post them here.

7. Buddha

Buddha Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Never mind already, I download a program called DVB stream analyzer, which scans the whole dvb stream according to PID, RTL7 was also there. It's quite a cumbersome to find the correct data and numbers, but indeed, if you just use comparison and logic you can already get a long way :) Maybe you can find BBC3 and 4 this way as well.

It could be very well possible that they're broadcasting DD sound and thats why I can't hear anything. I don't use AC3 filter myself so that might be the problem. I'll check it out later today

update: I just switched the audio decoder from MPA to Nvidia Audio decoder and know it works like a charm

8. kkendall

kkendall Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Hey cool! I didn't know that program existed! But if you know the transponderfrequency of the transponder BBC3 and 4 use (look on your settopbox), you can use this program to scan for all the parameters, right? That's a better way than my guessing :-p
    Do you know if MediaPortal also uses these parameters to read out the TVguide? Because I don't have a tvguide for RTL7 yet...even though the information is in the DVB stream because I do have a program guide when I use my settopbox... So do you know how I can make sure the tvguide for RTL7 is grabbed from the DVB stream?

Btw, do you receive any HDTV channels?

9. Buddha

Buddha Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sorry, but I can't find the frequencies of any scrambled channels with that program, maybe because I just watch the FTA channels without any smartcard. I never managed to get EPG info from the DVB stream, maybe its due to the limitations of my card, the Technotrend 1500-C. I don't know if there's any way to force a download of DVB EPG info, so I just resorted to using WEBEPG instead.

I don't have the HDTV Channel package, but I also can't see a HDTV preview channel, which is supposed to be FTA. I can't find this particular channel, i'd like to see the quality of HDTV here.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!